• Members 653 posts
    May 16, 2024, 2:25 p.m.

Wow! A trifecta. What a catch!

F8 and be there!

Rich

• Members 1154 posts
    May 18, 2024, 3:52 a.m.

As Chris says.
    If you can put the original into LR, the haze reduction tool should be able to improve things. I don't know hoe it works. Some combination of blue tone adjustment combined with contrast, I think.

• Members 1154 posts
    May 18, 2024, 5:28 a.m.

Your chosen angle accentuates the lifting paint and adds pattern with the horizontal shadows. In turn they complement the dark grey sills. At the same time the verticals of the windows lift us right to the top, making a point of the extent of the decay.
    Would you consider taking a slice off the bottom so the lower dark great sills are a lot closer to the base?
    I like the colour combination. There's a nice little irony in having a "green" as the colour of decay.

• Members 1154 posts
    May 18, 2024, 5:50 a.m.

IMNHO. there is much going on here that lifts the shot well above a casual family record snap. Without getting bogged down in USA v Brit definitions, there are a series of trapeziums, trapezoids that give form to the playing field. Jack sensibly has chosen a red/orange one on which to stand to lift him out for Grandma's camera. Clever boy. Next he saw the possibilities of repeating lines and forms in the grass green umbrella and thoughtfully lifted it up to create more straight line bounded forms reminding us of the field's variations.
    The zig zagging line from the umbrella down to Jack's feet does a fine job of suggesting movement and balance. If he had been vertical with the umbrella vertical above him, the shot would have been nowhere near as effective,
    Great job. Both of you.

• Members 1154 posts
    May 18, 2024, 6:12 a.m.

Thanks Roel. It was a bar in Seville where we returned several nights in a row so we were all feeling comfortable with each other. My camera was sitting unobtrusively on a table taking in the tv screen and the subject. He had caught our eye with good natured demonstrable responses to the screen action. I don't think anyone noticed as I pressed the shutter release as the game ebbed and flowed. Of course, most of the shots aren't worth a second look. I was delighted that the game coughed up the extreme responses on and off the field.

• Members 1154 posts
    May 18, 2024, 6:15 a.m.

I hadn't read Roel's response when I added mine. Ditto. ditto, ditto.

• Members 1154 posts
    May 18, 2024, 7:47 a.m.

An instant rush of nostalgia. Haven't seen one of these for years. I looked at this as big as I could get it and it got better and better. There was something very satisfyingly solid about these things. They felt as though what you saw would be worth the coin. Somehow, it always disappointed but the solidity drew me and my coin in over and over. That's the point. Viewed large you have all the metal texture that called me decades ago. Then there's the inviting glow of the horizon and silver blue of the metal. I must have another coin somewhere.....

• Members 1154 posts
    May 18, 2024, 7:53 a.m.

As everyone has said. Extra bonus points for your framing. I think you have the proportions from the painting as is your spacing to the image edge.
    If I owned the Gallery I'd want to buy this shot for our promotional use.

• Members 937 posts
    May 18, 2024, 1:57 p.m.

You are indeed fortunate to have such a wonderful gardens to explore.
    It is refreshing to see such a healthy set of Lilly pads, and such vibrant pinks.

• Members 937 posts
    May 18, 2024, 3 p.m.

Lovely retro looking device. I was wondering if it was an old one that had withstood the test of time, or a newer one with the old style. The manufacturing plate sorted that with a .com address...
    Nice late afternoon / early evening tones. The yellow / orange horizon is nicely balanced against the ocean and blue frame. A few small waves rolling in completes the ocean side scene.

• Members 937 posts
    May 18, 2024, 3:18 p.m.

We have had weeks of rainy days and if not rain just overcast, dreary and low light. Even the critters seemed to take a hiatus and when I did get out they were nowhere to be found.

So today was a godsend - dry and sunny and the critters thought so too. I have posted a series elsewhere but am agonizing over a reduction for here.
    So a brief story in two pictures.

As always Ravi accompanied me

P1020076a.JPG

On the way back she was going crazy at something on the ground. I knew straight away what it was - an Echidna, burrowing into the ground to escape. I called her off and she left it - as she is getting older she is a touch more obedient...
    However, with quills like that the Echidna has no worries and a dog has no chance of harming them and would indeed come off second best.

P1020236a.JPG

P1020236a.JPG

JPG, 5.2 MB, uploaded by Bryan on May 18, 2024.

P1020076a.JPG

JPG, 5.1 MB, uploaded by Bryan on May 18, 2024.

• Members 1356 posts
    May 19, 2024, 12:11 a.m.

The scene is lovely and the composition well chosen. The curve of the river interrupted by the rocky promontory where the Tiny People are found is a fine focal point. The trees speak delicately of springtime. But there is some overall loss of quality that made me thing "phone pic" immediately because phone camera haze is recognizable to those of us who battle it. I am one who is constantly aggravated by it, and still refuse to give up my "real" camera.

• Members 1356 posts
    May 19, 2024, 12:16 a.m.

I love decadent old architecture like this. The brickwork and its peeling paint invites close inspection, and is worth the effort. Lots of detail there. The geometry is pretty engaging too. Your chosen angle makes it different from 90% of the shots we see of urban decay, and the colors add to the uniqueness. Great choices all the way around, including the crop.

• Members 1356 posts
    May 19, 2024, 12:23 a.m.

The despair and joy of a soccer fan when confronted with the thrills and disappointments of a favorite team's match is always a worthy subject. There are no fans more emotional than soccer fans. Your subject seems a little uncertain/sheepish about being photographed copying his hero's on-screen positions in the first shot but oblivious to the photographer as he mimics the arm pose in the second. Agree with Roel about the use of black and white, which can help simplify complex scenes and help us focus on what the photographer wants us to see..

• Members 1356 posts
    May 19, 2024, 12:28 a.m.

I always feel compelled to take pictures of these things! This is a good one, rich in color (I think there's even some color reflecting on it), and equally rich in geometry. But what appeals to me most, here as in the ones I've felt obligated to photograph, is the anthropomorphism. It is looking at me. It looks a bit like a shoe bird crafted into a metal statue, or perhaps an owl, but it is definitely creating a sense of interaction with this viewer. Nicely done.

• Members 1356 posts
    May 19, 2024, 12:34 a.m.

This is a wonderful catch. Three versions of what could pass for the same woman (one in disguise of course), each giving you the same wary side-eye look from identical angles as the one on foot scurries away, as if caught out. Excellent. I wish she could see it.

• Members 1356 posts
    May 19, 2024, 12:39 a.m.

Beautiful image of unusually rich pink and magenta water lilies, with a gorgeous blue sky reflected in the still water to set them off. The color combinations are exceptionally nice, and the details are well caught. You might could afford to crop in just a touch more from the right, to nearer to the lily pads, to limit the shadowed areas a bit more. A lovely offering.