• Members 3332 posts
    June 29, 2024, 11:38 a.m.

What about lightening the shadows a bit and cropping to a panoramic view?

Just some more food for thought 😊

dprevived.com/media/attachments/3b/95/zW01d8FYaxrn0lfnu0EIlZ3o4XUQ7FdsLbinUQCX2tkUj6usntfhAmLBQT9vvOGv/newdevelopment.jpg

newDevelopment.jpg

JPG, 426.4 KB, uploaded by DanHasLeftForum on June 29, 2024.

• Members 1185 posts
    June 29, 2024, 11:50 a.m.

OK. I'm convinced by Dan's alterations as well. The message remains the same while the alterations further reinforce what I feel is the message. I still see the result as a a dip of the lid to the principles of triangulation and construction. The lighter foreground increases the visual connection with the forms of the background buildings and the cranes. The horizontal lines of the cranes are important in feeling some of the stresses those apparently fragile structures manage. The wider crop accentuates the horizontal line of the cranes.

• Members 976 posts
    June 29, 2024, 11:55 a.m.

Thanks minnie.

On another forum the above and last week's image attracted a comment that they were over exposed. I had already realised that these birds have quite reflective feathers with a lot of specular highlights and had been dialing in a fair bit of -ve EC and reducing highlights where necessary. So I never thought of actually raising anything in this week's... This is about as far as I am prepared to go - I hope it's enough.

PANA9134b.JPG

PANA9134b.JPG

JPG, 1.1 MB, uploaded by Bryan on June 29, 2024.

• Members 1185 posts
    June 29, 2024, 11:57 a.m.

I have tried that. It works to some extent. It's why I delay posting much for the first few days of the week. Life is so much simpler when all the comments develop beneath the one image. It's the critical difference between what we try to do where the whole conversation with a mix of views is valued and everyone builds on the input of others as compared to forums where the discussion is mainly between the OP and an individual response.

• Members 3332 posts
    June 29, 2024, 12:10 p.m.

Personally I would go with something like this. With this version I can see a hint of the bird's eyes on my screen.

dprevived.com/media/attachments/41/56/6T1XpLx9oFq1S7SsszdP9IR1bkuJIN59ner3EPqgVPioJ6AUCeP5l3hNuqbKlfDp/bird.jpg

bird.jpg

JPG, 498.5 KB, uploaded by DanHasLeftForum on June 29, 2024.

• Members 1383 posts
    June 29, 2024, 12:15 p.m.

We all find our own path in how we approach viewing the posted photos and sharing our impressions.

Whether in flat view or threaded (and I like threaded view SO much better), I tend to respond directly to the initial post. I try to avoid reading others' comments till after I've responded so I don't let them influence my view. Sometimes I accidentally stumble onto a comment or an edit before I've posted my own reaction, because of how this forum is constructed, but my intent is to respond without any influence other than the photo itself. If I later find a comment or edit that changes my impression, I can always add a response later down the line. But there are many different ways to approach this and none of them are wrong as long as we stick to clear, honest, civil responses.

Threaded view would certainly make it easier to follow expanded discussions and avoid misplaced quotes and other formatting issues.

• Members 976 posts
    June 29, 2024, 12:44 p.m.

Quite a landscape with many elements. The sunlit peaks, valleys and green grass offset the brooding clouds, their shadows and approaching storm, with the old tree sitting on that side of the fence...

• Members 1101 posts
    June 29, 2024, 12:46 p.m.

I second same thoughts on the subject and lament the lack of threaded view, which hugely would improve the communication among the participants. Some time this year, I reckon...

• Members 3332 posts
    June 29, 2024, 12:56 p.m.

I'm confused. I don't know who said what I struck out above but it wasn't me.

• Members 976 posts
    June 29, 2024, 12:56 p.m.

I knew you would have included more if you could have. What I would have loved to see is the full triangular roof / wall sections and the blue / grey panels under the windows... I think in this case a little bit of palm tree is better than none.

• Members 976 posts
    June 29, 2024, 1:04 p.m.

It's not the calibration of my monitor. It's the level of background blur. Neither diffuse from enough separation nor close enough to focused to remain comfortable.

• Members 3332 posts
    June 29, 2024, 1:15 p.m.

Ok, but I can't edit photos to suit people's individual eye sight.

• Members 976 posts
    June 29, 2024, 1:20 p.m.

No. No amount of editing can fix that.

• Members 3332 posts
    June 29, 2024, 1:24 p.m.

Since no-one else who has viewed the image anywhere has told me it hurts their eyes, I hope you find someone who can cure your issue with your eyes.

• Members 976 posts
    June 29, 2024, 1:55 p.m.

Over time I have posted some pretty ordinary pics on this forum. It only takes one person to relate the flaws and it's taken on board. After all, that is the function of the Critique part of C&C - don't you think?

• Members 720 posts
    June 29, 2024, 2:13 p.m.

FWIW I don’t see the incorrect quoting.
    Mike just kunda summarized different parts of the conversation, centering on different aspects, and expressed how all that would be easier to follow in a threaded forum view under the image - hence his frustration.
    No need nor trigger to be confrontational here.

• Members 720 posts
    June 29, 2024, 2:16 p.m.

That was all me.
    I responed to your initial image, even though there had already been other comments.

• Members 3332 posts
    June 29, 2024, 3:01 p.m.

It is very easy to use quotes correctly and not misrepresent what other people have posted.