• Members 567 posts
    June 30, 2024, 8:26 p.m.

I like this image Mike. The areas in question can be easily removed using a chromatic aberration correction. I realize from reading many many posts that this is a result of using Topaz and not camera induced chromatic aberration. Never the less the tool works well and can be used to get rid of the orange colour between the hair strands.
    Andrew
    image.png

image.png

PNG, 1.6 MB, uploaded by 19andrew47 on June 30, 2024.

• Members 248 posts
    June 30, 2024, 8:32 p.m.

[quote="@MikeFewster"]
    EMU. Central Australia.

At eye level with Emu and the backlighting helps make this photo different from what we usually see.
    I like it.

• Members 248 posts
    June 30, 2024, 8:38 p.m.

[quote="@minniev"]
    Icefields Highway (wish I was there now instead of here in 110 degree heat). One from the archives, so old it was taken with the venerable E30. I never did anything with the picture because there was a worrisome distraction I could not get rid of without making major alterations in the scene, but the sky and light were so dramatic I couldn't delete it. So yesterday I decided to see whether the new lightroom tools would salvage it, and this is the result. Still a few nits but I'm better satisfied with it.

Magnificent landscape, very well photographed.
    Whatever was necessary to eliminate the disturbing elements is justified in this case.

• Members 248 posts
    June 30, 2024, 8:53 p.m.

[quote="@ChrisOly"]
    High density

Massive residential development is happening in downtown Toronto recently.

It's a loaded photo with a lot of architectural elements.
    But, it caught my attention to take a closer look at the photo.
    Well done!

• Members 1371 posts
    June 30, 2024, 9:07 p.m.

Good correction and good information - that the CA tools can solve other problems.

• Members 1371 posts
    June 30, 2024, 9:10 p.m.

Thanks, Kumsal, I feel the same way. I don't hesitate to use any tool available to solve a problem that can't be solved with the camera itself.

• Members 3318 posts
    June 30, 2024, 9:22 p.m.

Imo an image creator removing disturbing elements is justifiable in every case unless the aim is to create a close as possible documentary version.

• Members 1180 posts
    June 30, 2024, 9:56 p.m.

Outstanding. One of those rare "breaks every rule in the book" images that finishes up being brilliant because it has broken all the rules. Composition lines running all over the place; eye attracting features and potential subject points that conflict with each other. And so on.
    Congrats Kumsal.

• Members 1180 posts
    June 30, 2024, 10 p.m.

Yes, that is a definite improvement. I'll adjust the original version I have.

• Members 1180 posts
    June 30, 2024, 10:28 p.m.

An extraordinary natural feature and a wonderful subject for a photographer.
    This is an interesting post. Generally with a series we look to see a story that requires the sequence to make the point. This group from Fireplace takes us into the head of the photographer. Fireplace gives us the thoughts and settings with each shot as he/she considers different angles and settings to capture the spirit of the location.
    Generally, I like moving water shots to either totally freeze the moment so we can study the intricacies or to have some blur to convey the movement. I don't like too much blur which reduces the movement to something that looks static. Here, Fireplace gets it about right to my eye and shares the thinking as the settings are chosen.
    I like the the last best. The portrait format, narrow contrasting gap and multitude of repeating lines of waterfall, are all reinforcing each other. We can feel the movement and the constriction.

• Members 1180 posts
    June 30, 2024, 10:44 p.m.

Andrew, that's brilliant. Using CA correction never entered my head. I'd assumed that control was limited to purplish edgings. Yes, I'm using Topaz quite a lot. You have added a valuable weapon. Many thanks.

• Members 1180 posts
    June 30, 2024, 11:13 p.m.

I'm fairly sure that I have made similar comments previously. Rich has a collection of shots of roof quirks. He draws the viewer's attention to those little oddities we might otherwise roll past. I feel that the image is strongest when considered as part of a series putting them together as a sort of unifying vision of a heap of disparities.
    Same here. A wealth of small details that together make the story. I live that palm. A tiny touch that echoes the flag and gives a clue to location. There are explicit and implicit triangles in the roof structure that form the composition and frame the whimsical tower and flag, Then there are the little details. Bird, poles, chimney, window details. They add character. My standout moment though comes from the dotted lines that break and then continue. Loved your framing with this feature, In a fun way it gives a natural base to the image and triangles of the composition.
    Sometime Rich, could you post a collection of these roofline images here?

• Members 3318 posts
    June 30, 2024, 11:29 p.m.

I doubt we agree with all your opinions there.

• Members 3318 posts
    June 30, 2024, 11:47 p.m.

No problem but Andrew suggesting the CA tool should normally be quicker and easier still.

If the CA removal doesn't do the job fully then the HueSaturation Adjustment Layer should be able to tidy things up.

• Members 657 posts
    July 1, 2024, 3:11 a.m.

Mike,

Thanks so much for the observations and comments. You're a mind reader.

Among other qualities they have in the image, I see the palm, the flag and the bird, against vertical, replicating the peaks of the base triangles. Everything, including the dormer roof over the tower window is a triangle pointing up.

I am attracted to roof lines. They are stately and taciturn. Enduring.

I look at a lot of my roof images and wonder, "Is anyone else going to see anything in this?"

Horizontal lines dominate, so any display of multiples of these things would require a lot of horizontal wall space - which I would love to see!

I have a few more I'd like to work on before I assemble some together for sharing.

Rich

• Members 1180 posts
    July 1, 2024, 8:12 a.m.

Rather than a straight line of images, I was envisaging something more house shaped, like a square of images, each image the same size with a narrow frame. 9 photos. 3 across and 3 down
    Or 16 in a 4x4 grid.
    I don't think it could be shown like that here unless you made and framed the images and hung them on the wall and then photographed the wall.

• Members 3318 posts
    July 1, 2024, 8:58 a.m.

You wouldn't need to photograph them on a wall.

It would be quicker and easier to arrange the photos as you like on a canvas in something like Ps and then save it to a jpeg.

• Members 718 posts
    July 1, 2024, 11:59 a.m.

I love this fountain of creativity being fed from many sources.