• Members 710 posts
    July 3, 2024, 6:47 a.m.

Welcome to the Wednesday Comments and Critique (No Theme & No Brand) thread!

We are dedicated to continuing the great tradition of this C&C thread because we are convinced that looking at, and talking about images is vital for better photography.

Our tried and tested concept (15 years and running!) is a weekly "peer-to-peer" photo comments & critique encounter, in which you GIVE and RECEIVE.

The idea is simple: you post an image and get critique on it, and in return give other people your opinion of their images, or vice versa.

Any Theme, Any Camera, Any Style, Any Subject.

We are still figuring out how to create the convenience of threaded view on this new forum.

For now, let us agree that you post an image or essay with a title and short explanation, and that all comments include the image as a quote.
    Replies to comments may or may not include quotes.

THREAD GUIDELINES – THE SHORT & SWEET VERSION
    • This thread does not care about brands. It’s not about the tool, but the image.
    • Post one image or essay that you would like to get comments on.
    An entry can either be a single image or a short essay. With an essay we mean not a collection of random images without any connection, seeking C&C on more than one of them. We mean instead a limited number (3 to 10) of connected images that together try to tell a story, create a fuller picture of a situation, event or location, etc.
    • Add a clear title to your post to distinguish your entry.
    • Look at the other images/essays and give your comments on at least one of those.
    • For comments, try to go beyond a simple pat on the back or a short dismissal.
    • Do you like an image (or essay) ? Try to explain WHY it appeals to you.
    • Negative feedback is OK (we all want to learn), but be polite and constructive. Try to explain why the image (or essay) does not appeal to you and how it might be improved.
    • Please stay on topic, i.e. concentrate on the image and the photographic comments, without getting into politics or other distractions. No non-photographic arguments.

The critique you give is vital.
    What was your first impression? What catches your eye about an image? Why?
    What do you like, and what distracts you? What would you change?

Fiddle with the image in your head - composition, perspective, color balance, exposure.

PLEASE NOTE CLEARLY:
    It is understood that unless the original poster specifically states that they do not want an altered image posted that you are free to alter the posted image and repost it in a reply for C&C purposes (no use for other purposes!). That reposted image may remain permanently or you may remove it after a short period of time if you prefer. No copyright disputes here!

Encourage - it is a scary business putting your work up for other people to judge!

More general feedback is also welcome.
    Do you know something about taking the same sort of image that would make matters easier - share your own as an example in your reply.

Have fun and let’s stick together!

• Members 710 posts
    July 3, 2024, 6:48 a.m.

ROME

Just another image from Rome, city of endless inspiration, from the spring of 2022.

ROM-2022032-P1060833-RoelH-LRC13-sRGB.jpg

ROM-2022032-P1060833-RoelH-LRC13-sRGB.jpg

JPG, 8.4 MB, uploaded by RoelHendrickx on July 3, 2024.

• Members 3226 posts
    July 3, 2024, 7:10 a.m.

This is one of the many bridges and gazebos visitors to Li Yuan, a public garden in Wuxi, China come across.

"NOT EVERYONE'S CUP OF TEA"

dprevived.com/media/attachments/0b/f5/sjBNLuqkmRzMafH8UT0eHDyolGhZpoesas8xUQFSXrbxW3wgIvAFAhV60UZZ5ekM/liyuangarden.jpg

LiYuanGarden.jpg

JPG, 253.0 KB, uploaded by DanHasLeftForum on July 3, 2024.

• Members 1154 posts
    July 3, 2024, 7:35 a.m.

The House of Salvadore Dali.
    The House of Salvadore Dali.jpg
    There are things here that need adjustment. They are deliberate.

The House of Salvadore Dali.jpg

JPG, 662.3 KB, uploaded by MikeFewster on July 3, 2024.

• Members 3226 posts
    July 3, 2024, 8:01 a.m.

That looks like a faulty panorama stitching. They are fairly straight forward fixes though.

Which stitching app did you use?

dprevived.com/media/attachments/91/ba/CzL4MlblReDWR2hNRj3UvgHqIYliDy8p6CNb5AXmCwwuHfN2zIkEHMUeIZXoq7Ua/faultystitching.jpg

faultyStitching.jpg

JPG, 275.0 KB, uploaded by DanHasLeftForum on July 3, 2024.

• Members 1154 posts
    July 3, 2024, 8:15 a.m.

Yes, but those errors, especially the one on the egg and those on the pool frame, were deliberately left like that. Consider where we are.

• Members 3226 posts
    July 3, 2024, 8:24 a.m.

If you like them, including the circled step in the horizon, then all well and good. For me, they stick out like sore thumbs.

• Members 710 posts
    July 3, 2024, 8:35 a.m.

I do like the lighting effects in this case, because I can imagine them to be from a natural source.
    (Like I also considered that the lighting effects on the rapid river could have been created by a theatrical light show on the water for a festive event.)
    I must say that I like this one better, though.
    The symmetry, the darkness, the colour scheme, the brightness on a focal point : it all works together well to ease me into the image.
    (The rapid river gave me a case of R.E.M. - this is more akin to a deeper sleep, and I like it for that.)

• Members 1154 posts
    July 3, 2024, 9 a.m.

The one on the horizon I might have changed. There's no rationale for that one. There are others.

• Members 776 posts
    July 3, 2024, 9:22 a.m.

Goldilocks
    Once upon a time there was a little girl called Goldilocks, she went for a walk in the forest and came to a little hut,...

DSC_2075 - for print smaller.JPG

with a portion of "artistic licence" of course :-)

DSC_2075 - for print smaller.JPG

JPG, 2.7 MB, uploaded by Fireplace33 on July 3, 2024.

• Members 3226 posts
    July 3, 2024, 9:23 a.m.

If you like them that's all well and good.

• Members 776 posts
    July 3, 2024, 10:42 a.m.

I like it!
    Subtle colours and intricate decorations on the facades.
    Lots of depth too with those leading lines.
    Yes, indeed, Rome has loads of interesting opportunities like you found here with this one.

• Members 1059 posts
    July 3, 2024, 11:21 a.m.

Order

20240630_110708x1.jpg

Art Deco Filtration Plant in Toronto from 1930's. Still fully operational. Access is restricted, but I managed to take a shot from the side door window.

20240630_110708x1.jpg

JPG, 3.6 MB, uploaded by ChrisOly on July 3, 2024.

• Members 776 posts
    July 3, 2024, 11:37 a.m.

That's a good shot with its more or less centrally placed vanishing point. Interesting looking building !
    The floor looks very shiny, as if it is completely wet, maybe their filtration machines are leaking ;-)

• Members 1059 posts
    July 3, 2024, 11:42 a.m.

Absolutely dream shot in a dream location. Brilliant.

• Members 1059 posts
    July 3, 2024, 11:59 a.m.

I suspect it's a terrazzo floring, highly polished (lovingly) for decades...

• Members 1059 posts
    July 3, 2024, 12:01 p.m.

Very busy shot, but it certainly gives us the sense of the surroundings and complexity of architectural styles. Probably very typical.

• Members 1059 posts
    July 3, 2024, 12:04 p.m.

Rather magical capture, which belongs almost to a different era. Very evocative.