• Members 3326 posts
    July 5, 2024, 7:58 a.m.

I normally do as well except in threads like this one which are created for people who by default are happy to have edited versions of their images posted as part of C&C or help in aspects of image editing.

In the op it clearly states -

"PLEASE NOTE CLEARLY:
    It is understood that unless the original poster specifically states that they do not want an altered image posted that you are free to alter the posted image and repost it in a reply for C&C purposes (no use for other purposes!). That reposted image may remain permanently or you may remove it after a short period of time if you prefer. No copyright disputes here!"

which clearly means this thread is mainly aimed at people who by default are happy to have edited versions of their images posted as part of C&C or help in aspects of image editing.

If someone does not want edited versions of their images posted they can simply follow the instruction in the above quote from the op.

• Members 973 posts
    July 5, 2024, 8:25 a.m.

There are many who are praying. The scary question is will it be enough...

• Members 1185 posts
    July 5, 2024, 10:57 a.m.

I agree with David's "like" while I also understand Dan's comment. This is a little like the discussion on the eyes of "The Thinker." Changing the focus isn't right or wrong, it gives a different interpretation to the image. Bryan has the bright, beady little eyes as the point we must look at. The more softly focussed areas mean we automatically move our attention to the eyes. The image conveys the alert, cheeky personality of the individual bird. Having the whole bird in sharp focus and we have a study of a species of bird.

• Members 3326 posts
    July 5, 2024, 11:22 a.m.

If you understand my comment about it being a poor photo then perhaps you could try to explain why the top of the head is in focus (since that is where Bryan said he thinks he focussed) and why the front of the body is blurred since they are both in the same vertical plane.

Because the top of the head and the front of the body are in the same vertical plane they should both be in focus or both be blurred.

To me, it looks like focus was missed when the shot was taken and so mostly the whole bird was blurred but the area around the top of the head was able to be sharpened to some extent in post.

• Members 3326 posts
    July 5, 2024, 11:51 a.m.
  • Members 1185 posts
    July 5, 2024, 12:23 p.m.

Dan, it isn't a point worth making. If you have been around photography for a while you will understand that things like leading lines, dof and variations in brightness can direct our eyes in different ways. That's part of the skill of a photographer. Their choices influence the way we respond to an image. If the whole bird had been in focus, it wouldn't have been "punchier" it would have been a different communication from the image. You get upset Dan if you consider that someone is changing the meaning of your words. That's what you are doing here with the image. You aren't tuning in to what they photograph is doing, you are suggesting that the message should be something else. Let's discuss what the image actually contains. It may of course mean different things to different people.

• Members 3326 posts
    July 5, 2024, 8:45 p.m.

It was a point worth making because i simply explained why I see Bryan's photo as a poor image.

You and some others see it as a good photo. That's fine as we all see and interpret images differently.

• Members 249 posts
    July 5, 2024, 10:24 p.m.

The title is inappropriate: not everyone's cup of tea.
    You are already admitting that nothing matches the real photo!
    When it comes to you, it is your artistic freedom: not everyone's cup of tea.
    With others, you pay attention to small details if something is wrong in a photo.
    How are we supposed to take you seriously?

• Members 1185 posts
    July 5, 2024, 10:33 p.m.

Agreed Fireplace.
    The moment Sagittarius has caught draws on some of the deepest human drives. We empathize with the parent and baby and the bond between them.
    Two things (and there are others) make the photo special. The side angle and silhouetting of the background emphasizes the relative size of the two. Contrasting with the obvious power of the parent is the delicacy of the hand contact.
    Magic.

• Members 249 posts
    July 5, 2024, 10:39 p.m.

This is a photo I'm looking for!
    Thanks for sharing.

• Members 249 posts
    July 5, 2024, 10:43 p.m.

A sad story that is very touching in connection with this photo.
    Why this violence all over the world?
    Humanity is regressing.

• Members 3326 posts
    July 5, 2024, 11:04 p.m.

Thank you for uour thoughts Kumsal.

I titled it " Not everyone's cup of tea" because I used a similar style in last week's photo which some like very much and some don't like it at all.

dprevived.com/media/attachments/ba/4a/iXs9GPe68vlkAzligVwfHs7FbO1Wr3kIEpSyLwRDB5vQCfpaJpsJHHdhCAinDk1P/watercolors.jpg

I commented last week that this type of image was not everyone's cup of tea, hence the title for the image in this thread.

Feel free to comment on however you see my images in this thread or in of the other threads in which I have posted images.

• Members 249 posts
    July 5, 2024, 11:13 p.m.

Let's take a closer look at this photo: * This photo was taken during the day. * It has been edited to look like it was taken during blue hour. * Although there is no warm light source during blue hour, it was added later. Let's assume there was a hidden warm light source in the rear area. * The reflections on the bridge would never be magenta.

• Members 3326 posts
    July 5, 2024, 11:22 p.m.

Thank you Kumsal.

Regarding realism, I commented on that earlier this thread. Maybe you didn’t see it.

I deliberately try to make my artistic versions not too realistic so that I don't unintentionally lead people to think I am deliberately faking what I saw when I took the photo.

• Members 249 posts
    July 5, 2024, 11:29 p.m.

Then make your photo editing somewhat realistic before criticizing others for minor inconsistencies.
    I hope we can find common ground.

• Members 3326 posts
    July 5, 2024, 11:38 p.m.

I call things as I see them and give the reasons why and people are free to call my images as they see them.

No-one has to post images to suit your, my or anyone else's preferred style of images for C & C.

I will continue to post images as I see fit just like everyone else does here.

Some will like my images and some will not. I have no issue with that.

• Members 249 posts
    July 5, 2024, 11:48 p.m.

Others think the same.
    Others also have the freedoms that you are entitled to.
    But with others you cannot be so critical of the details if you allow yourself the greatest possible freedom.

• Members 3326 posts
    July 5, 2024, 11:51 p.m.

In some of my posts on dprevived I have posted both the documentary and artistic versions.

Feel free to comment on any of those if you haven't already done so.