• Members 741 posts
    July 24, 2024, 3:28 p.m.

Sorry for starting this week's edition later than usual.
    To be honest I could have started the thread this morning but I just simply forgot!!
    (I had simply lost track of which day it is; that's always a good sign when on holiday…)

Welcome to the Wednesday Comments and Critique (No Theme & No Brand) thread!

We are dedicated to continuing the great tradition of this C&C thread because we are convinced that looking at, and talking about images is vital for better photography.

Our tried and tested concept (15 years and running!) is a weekly "peer-to-peer" photo comments & critique encounter, in which you GIVE and RECEIVE.
    The idea is simple: you post an image and get critique on it, and in return give other people your opinion of their images, or vice versa.

Any Theme, Any Camera, Any Style, Any Subject.

We are still figuring out how to create the convenience of threaded view on this new forum.
    For now, let us agree that you post an image or essay with a title and short explanation, and that all comments include the image as a quote.
    Replies to comments may or may not include quotes.

THREAD GUIDELINES – THE SHORT & SWEET VERSION
    • This thread does not care about brands. It’s not about the tool, but the image.
    • Post one image or essay that you would like to get comments on.
    An entry can either be a single image or a short essay. With an essay we mean not a collection of random images without any connection, seeking C&C on more than one of them. We mean instead a limited number (3 to 10) of connected images that together try to tell a story, create a fuller picture of a situation, event or location, etc.
    • Add a clear title to your post to distinguish your entry.
    • Look at the other images/essays and give your comments on at least one of those.
    • For comments, try to go beyond a simple pat on the back or a short dismissal.
    • Do you like an image (or essay) ? Try to explain WHY it appeals to you.
    • Negative feedback is OK (we all want to learn), but be polite and constructive. Try to explain why the image (or essay) does not appeal to you and how it might be improved.
    • Please stay on topic, i.e. concentrate on the image and the photographic comments, without getting into politics or other distractions. No non-photographic arguments.

The critique you give is vital.
    What was your first impression? What catches your eye about an image? Why?
    What do you like, and what distracts you? What would you change?

Fiddle with the image in your head - composition, perspective, color balance, exposure.

PLEASE NOTE CLEARLY:
    Unless the original poster specifically states (for every individual posting offered for C&C) that they do not want their image(s) to be downloaded, altered or reposted, it is understood that within the context of this thread, other participants are free to download and alter the posted image and repost it in a reply for C&C purposes. That reposted image may remain permanently within the week's thread, or you may remove it after a short period of time if you prefer. The downloaded and altered images are not to be used for any other purposes nor uploaded anywhere else than within the context of the C&C in this thread. No copyright disputes here!

Encourage - it is a scary business putting your work up for other people to judge!

More general feedback is also welcome.
    Do you know something about taking the same sort of image that would make matters easier - share your own as an example in your reply.

Have fun and let’s stick together!

• Members 741 posts
    July 24, 2024, 3:33 p.m.

SAINT-OMER

This is the (wonderfully renovated) train station of Saint-Omer, a friendly and inviting small city in the north of France (région Pas-de-Calais).

It's an Iphone image from yesterday.
    It had been drizzling a bit and there seems to have been a raindrop on the edge of the little lens.
    But I don't care very much about that. This shot is not intended for eternity.

Station de Saint-Omer by Roel Hendrickx on Iphone 11 PRO - IMG_3384.jpg

• Members 1175 posts
    July 24, 2024, 3:40 p.m.

Child's curiosity.

R6080050X.jpg

R6080050X.jpg

JPG, 4.1 MB, uploaded by ChrisOly on July 24, 2024.

• Members 1175 posts
    July 24, 2024, 3:43 p.m.

I am actually very glad that you have not used any lens correction in this capture. It stands as is and that is what's needed - image of magnificent architectural jewel.

• Members 1464 posts
    July 24, 2024, 4:05 p.m.

Wanna Fight?

This young blue heron sailed into a landing spot on the banks of the Pearl near an even younger one, and decided to practice his posturing. It is the blue heron version of flexing your muscles to show how tough and handsome you are, and offer to rough it up a bit if necessary to prove who's boss. It scares off the pacifists and is appealing to any ladies nearby.

P7130858-Edit-Edit.jpg

P7130858-Edit-Edit.jpg

JPG, 2.8 MB, uploaded by minniev on July 24, 2024.

• Members 677 posts
    July 24, 2024, 4:16 p.m.

Roel,

LOL, I had the direct opposite reaction that Chris had to the image.

Station.jpg

^Phew!^ That was a lot of distortion to correct! Ya gotta hold that iPhone straight up and down!

😁

Rich

Station.jpg

JPG, 3.0 MB, uploaded by Rich42 on July 24, 2024.

• Members 677 posts
    July 24, 2024, 4:23 p.m.

_DSF5365.jpg
    Last Peach

The last peach from our tree this season. As usual, a small but delicious crop.

Sitting on a bench in the yard just before sunset. Its colors are great, but I love its funny shape.

Rich

_DSF5365.jpg

JPG, 3.7 MB, uploaded by Rich42 on July 24, 2024.

• July 24, 2024, 4:46 p.m.

Strangely elliptical clock is installed there...

• Members 1175 posts
    July 24, 2024, 4:59 p.m.

Very graceful pose bathed in wonderful sunset against calm water. I like how pebbles and stones on the shore are lit by fading sun. Well captured.

• Members 1175 posts
    July 24, 2024, 5:01 p.m.

That background is truly amazing and so is the peach with rainbow of colours.

• Members 842 posts
    July 24, 2024, 7:06 p.m.

B&W impressions from an evening walk in the countryside

Here's 4 shots from a walk last night in the countryside around our local village

Endless crops all the way to the mountains
    DSC_5079 B&W smaller.JPG

A nice looking cloud
    DSC_5087 B&W smaller.JPG

And lastly, 2 details of a seed planting farm machine catching the evening light on the shiny metal spikes
    DSC_5106 - B&W smaller.JPG

DSC_5104 smaller.JPG

DSC_5104 smaller.JPG

JPG, 2.3 MB, uploaded by Fireplace33 on July 25, 2024.

DSC_5106 - B&W smaller.JPG

JPG, 2.5 MB, uploaded by Fireplace33 on July 24, 2024.

DSC_5079 B&W smaller.JPG

JPG, 2.0 MB, uploaded by Fireplace33 on July 24, 2024.

DSC_5087 B&W smaller.JPG

JPG, 1.2 MB, uploaded by Fireplace33 on July 24, 2024.

• Members 842 posts
    July 24, 2024, 7:57 p.m.

It's a great title, at first I thought it was somehow referring to the statue but then I saw the child on the bike and it all became clear!
    Super how the bike is right in the light too !
    There are always loads of ways of framing an image, your's shows the whole scene and presents the wide open interior space and the surroundings, that metal roof structure is really interesting and matches well with the metal sculpture. The left and right side of the image are quite dark so they dont' distract too much from the 3 main subjects: roof, sculpture and child, but it would also work when changing to a vertical format and concentrating more on just those 3 things.

Clip_32.jpg

Clip_32.jpg

JPG, 3.4 MB, uploaded by Fireplace33 on July 24, 2024.

• Members 842 posts
    July 24, 2024, 9:08 p.m.

A fine looking bird, I'm sure the ladies were impressed :-)

• Members 741 posts
    July 24, 2024, 9:11 p.m.

Your correction makes the building much lower than it actually is. To me that feels more unnatural than the distortion. But that’s always a matter of taste.

• Members 842 posts
    July 24, 2024, 9:15 p.m.

When I correct the keystoning effect like that, I'll often also stretch the result to make the building taller and make it look "normal" again. easy to do of course.

• Members 677 posts
    July 24, 2024, 9:26 p.m.

Please excuse my crude attempts at image editing.

I. Am. Not. Worthy!

Untitled-2.jpg

🙄

Rich

Untitled-2.jpg

JPG, 3.0 MB, uploaded by Rich42 on July 24, 2024.

• Members 680 posts
    July 24, 2024, 9:35 p.m.

There is too much distortion for my taste.
    I've tried to correct
    Station -1.jpg
    Also what is the haze covering left side of the building?

Station -1.jpg

JPG, 2.4 MB, uploaded by Sagittarius on July 24, 2024.

• Members 680 posts
    July 24, 2024, 9:38 p.m.

I like this show off pose. Larger image reveals more details.