• Members 1383 posts
    Aug. 16, 2024, 3:48 p.m.

Naw, I'm about as far as you can get from the Pacific and still be in the US. Our herons are mainly Great Blues. We see some little blues, and some occasional other passersby as they migrate but the Great Blues rule. Same body type, same flight form, same eyes. Obviously cousins! And yeah I understand the devils' bargain we make when we use m43 equipment. It's portable, it's lightweight, you get a lot of bang for your lens length buck, lots of built in toys. But you pay for it with noise and detail when you're not in really great light. Always choices about whether to risk using a higher ISO, or risk lack of sharpness with lower shutter speeds, or whether to underexpose and try to do more in post, or whether to just walk away and grumble about it.

• Members 1383 posts
    Aug. 16, 2024, 3:52 p.m.

Thanks Mike. I am continuing to work on it and will finalize next week, so all input is appreciated. The color work is the hardest decision. We do have a real live color cast that affects how everything looks (and captures) in summer, because there's so much green and yellow that reflects down on us outside, especially later in the day. Getting rid of all of it makes the photos look abnormal because it doesn't reflect what the world looks like to us. So it's a balancing act. I'm still fiddling.

• Members 1383 posts
    Aug. 16, 2024, 3:55 p.m.

Thanks for a creative suggestion. I had considered a little regressive blur but hadn't tried it yet. I'm not sure about a totally discolored background but selective muting of saturation might be a thought. Sylvester's mom is even older than me and I think pretty traditional so I don't want to get too creative in this one. Appreciate.

• Members 1383 posts
    Aug. 16, 2024, 4 p.m.

I am glad to hear from someone who loves vehicles and can appreciate Sylvester's love for this beautiful green machine. I like the idea of including a bit more of the vehicle for the part it played in his life, which was significant. Not entirely sure about the blur edge. Like I told Dan, Sylvester's mom is even older than me so is on the traditional side and I want to please her first of all. It does call more attention to that trademark smile though.

• Members 663 posts
    Aug. 16, 2024, 4:47 p.m.

Thanks Mike!

No, not Mondrian, though it's flattering that you suggest that.

I think if the light and shadow playing out inside the room were more visible, the late afternoon, high-contrast lighting -Edward Hopper feel that I experienced at the scene might have come through.

The window screen is too dirty to let it show, but when I was there, the inside looked much brighter. I guess I could bring that quality out more in post processing.

Another subject that I need to (actually) revisit and/or work on with the material I already have.

Rich

• Members 666 posts
    Aug. 16, 2024, 5 p.m.

Thank you minniev. The lights are actual sparks flying off of the swords when they hit each other. The reason I have not cropped it is that I wanted to give a hint that this match is in arena and not on the beach. 😀

• Members 3336 posts
    Aug. 16, 2024, 9:37 p.m.

No problem but I initially thought it was on a beach anyway and the back wall was just some kind of barrier for spectators.

• Members 253 posts
    Aug. 16, 2024, 11:07 p.m.

With all due respect Andrew...
    Death is a serious matter.
    There is no room for Photoshop tricks.
    I always tell myself please hold back, but in this case I just can't.

• Members 666 posts
    Aug. 16, 2024, 11:10 p.m.

No problem but I initially thought it was on a beach anyway and the back wall was just some kind of barrier for spectators.

No this was a show in a big arena.
    Medieval Times-210716-9.jpg
    Medieval Times-210716-15.jpg
    Medieval Times-210716-55.jpg
    Medieval Times-210716-68-Edit.jpg
    Medieval Times-210716-96.jpg

Medieval Times-210716-96.jpg

JPG, 1.9 MB, uploaded by Sagittarius on Aug. 16, 2024.

Medieval Times-210716-68-Edit.jpg

JPG, 1.5 MB, uploaded by Sagittarius on Aug. 16, 2024.

Medieval Times-210716-55.jpg

JPG, 1.3 MB, uploaded by Sagittarius on Aug. 16, 2024.

Medieval Times-210716-15.jpg

JPG, 2.1 MB, uploaded by Sagittarius on Aug. 16, 2024.

Medieval Times-210716-9.jpg

JPG, 1.5 MB, uploaded by Sagittarius on Aug. 16, 2024.

• Members 3336 posts
    Aug. 16, 2024, 11:25 p.m.

So what? That is just repeating your previous post.

I didn't doubt your comment but when I initially viewed your image without the extra information I thought it was on a beach as described earlier.

• Members 666 posts
    Aug. 16, 2024, 11:32 p.m.

So nothing. Just showed to the people where this event happened.

• Members 3336 posts
    Aug. 16, 2024, 11:37 p.m.

Ok, no problem.

Your intent wasn't clear because you chose to reply to my post instead of replying to the thread. There are 2 buttons to choose from when replying to posts.

• Members 1185 posts
    Aug. 17, 2024, 12:33 a.m.

The photo is good but the story make it much better. The repeating, diminishing arches with the tiny figure at the end convey the scale and atmosphere. The text adds more meaning and scale to what we see. The offset to the left is clever. It gives light and detail to the stone wall and shows a corner. The actions of the ruler deserve to be more widely known. A European king doing this would have been besainted and immortalized in legend.
    A thought for the Australians looking at this photo. Dan and Bryan, remember Weeties boxes? Perhaps they were before your time.

• Members 253 posts
    Aug. 17, 2024, 12:43 a.m.

The question is whether these strong colors are actually needed around the deceased.
    They distract a lot from him.
    Solution: Get rid of the colors!

• Members 3336 posts
    Aug. 17, 2024, 12:52 a.m.

No problem minniev.

Obviously you know Sylvester's mum better that anyone here. Using the ideas posted in this thread just do whatever you think she will like best.

• Members 1185 posts
    Aug. 17, 2024, 12:52 a.m.

Ha. Add me to the polarizer tragics. Sometimes I remember to put it in the bag. Then if I remember it, probably I'm using a lens it wont fit. As a result, I have bought a larger P filter but then I find I haven't got the right thread size. And so on.
    I know what we are on but not where. I can't place the bridge below and the tower. There is one of these wheels in London but I don't think this is London.
    The photo. You have brought out the interesting gondola structure these wheels use and the ingenious pivoting way they are attached to the structure. There's a sense of the structure too and pause for thought as we feel the height and get a good view of the gondola fastenings.
    The reflections on the glass are more of a plus than a negative, They help the viewer feel that are inside a gondola and on the ride.
    It is a well chosen angle. The obvious shot would have centred the gondola. Instead we see a lot more of the city as well and this further impresses us with the height.

• Members 3336 posts
    Aug. 17, 2024, 12:54 a.m.

I disagree. Your opinion does not apply to every viewer.

• Members 1185 posts
    Aug. 17, 2024, 1:15 a.m.

More thinking about this shot. I prefer minniev's original crop for another reason. The tractor beam thing that is behind Sylvester's head looks odd when the crop becomes tighter. More tractor in the shot and the beam is more easily recognized as part of the tractor and the viewer doesn't think about it. The beam is simply part of Sylvester;s much loved tractor. Less tractor in the shot and the viewer is distracted in trying to work out what the beam is. I prefer the more vertical crop from minniev as well. The shape is called portrait mode for a reason. We need to ask psychologists why but it really does feel appropriate for people whereas wider views do take the eye more to the surroundings.