• Members 1185 posts
    Aug. 30, 2024, 11:59 a.m.

There is nothing dramatic here. A carefully crafted image of a simple, peaceful scene. Horizontal lines always suggest tranquility and here there are four of them. I feel that you have the proportions of each about right. The weight to the right of the image plus the radial lines from the clouds also taking the eyes to the right. is balanced by the extended lines to the left. The laws of fulcrums and levers seem to work visually as well. I reckon the smallboat is a tad to the left of the visual fulcrum point. The sense of balance contributes a lot to the mood of the image.

• Members 3334 posts
    Aug. 30, 2024, 12:12 p.m.

That was the whole idea, so "Mission accomplished!!".

• Members 1185 posts
    Aug. 30, 2024, 12:13 p.m.

I agree with everyone about the need for a bit more detail back from the shadows. I prefer the somewhat darker version from Dan. This is a photo that wants to look natural and the first variation is too bright unless the bird was fixed in a searchlight.
    Bryan, I'm not familiar with your camera and how it reads different lighting. The sky also looks a bit oversaturated. If you try similar shots again you could experiment with exposing to the right a little.

• Members 1103 posts
    Aug. 30, 2024, 12:30 p.m.

Personally, a bit too much red, but...it's the prerogative of an image taker to interpret what they see.

• Members 3334 posts
    Aug. 30, 2024, 12:32 p.m.

Thank you Chris. This image is actually an edited composite as described a few posts back.

• Members 1103 posts
    Aug. 30, 2024, 12:34 p.m.

Not trying to be negative, but...it's a very busy image. I know you had a vision, but so many elements are here at play and it only works as a docu shot, for me at least. Sorry.

• Members 1103 posts
    Aug. 30, 2024, 12:36 p.m.

That's the problem with the existing setup:
    Threaded vs flat. Hopefully we will have a solution in the fall or winter...

• Members 3334 posts
    Aug. 30, 2024, 12:38 p.m.

That's why I normally start from the last post and work my way back through the thread.

• Members 1103 posts
    Aug. 30, 2024, 12:39 p.m.

Great shot. New meaning to the term "wind swept". You certainly captured the essence of sand movement in this environment.

• Members 1103 posts
    Aug. 30, 2024, 12:42 p.m.

If I have to choose one, that is my fave.
    They are all great images, but this is the one I would print, frame and hang. Brilliant colours. Well done. Pic of the week anybody?

• Members 1103 posts
    Aug. 30, 2024, 12:44 p.m.

Peace and serenity. Enough said.

• Members 1103 posts
    Aug. 30, 2024, 12:46 p.m.

Brilliant interpretation in very natural environment.

• Members 1103 posts
    Aug. 30, 2024, 12:49 p.m.

Graceful bif.

• Members 1103 posts
    Aug. 30, 2024, 12:51 p.m.

Very intriguing and interesting place to have a meal. Good shot.

• Members 1103 posts
    Aug. 30, 2024, 12:56 p.m.

Great assortment of detailed images of the gear for fishing afficionado. Well captured.

• Members 1383 posts
    Aug. 30, 2024, 2:15 p.m.

There is no better location for a Peace monument than overlooking the ruins of past wars. So much is lost when we resort to war, for whatever noble or ignoble reasons. The wide angle slant works for me here, and I'm not usually fond of it. I like the contrast between the stylized lion and the more distant dove. Compositionally, the shapes work well, the off centered obelisk within the keyhole arch opening, with other arch motifs on the lower edge. Nice memorial image.

• Members 1383 posts
    Aug. 30, 2024, 2:22 p.m.

Excellent image. Good example of how to make a fine photograph out of a barren landscape. The subject is, instead of the landscape itself, the wind. The key is in the line leading up the dune, and in the movement as the sand blows off the top of the dune at the end point of that line. The colors are lovely, not too intense but rich enough to get benefit of the complementary tones. Dynamic composition that grabs my attention quickly even though there's not all that much in it.

• Members 1383 posts
    Aug. 30, 2024, 2:26 p.m.

It's a pleasing scene that has a soothing effect - the angled, perfectly matched adirondacks, the exactly bisected balance of the composition, the cool blues, the receding clouds all work well together to create a mood. The water would have rendered better with your "real" camera, but otherwise it could easily be an ad for a travel brochure.