you are on the new server domainname will switch later
If you can not login please clear cookies
chevron_left
chevron_right
The-Photo forum
  • Home
  • Forums
    • theatersImage Discussions arrow_forward
      • chat_bubbleChallenges arrow_forward
        • camera Edit me an Image
        • camera Photo of the Week
      • chat_bubbleHave your photos Critiqued arrow_forward
        • camera Wednesday C&C
      • Showcase your Photos
      • chat_bubbleWeekly & Topic Image Threads arrow_forward
        • camera Abstract/Experimental
        • camera B&W Threads
        • camera Sunday Cats!
        • camera Weekly Collegial forum
        • camera Daily Outing
        • camera This week through your eyes
        • camera Landscape
        • camera Macro & Close Up
        • camera Street Photography
    • theatersMiscellaneous forums arrow_forward
      • Photo Hardware Discussions
      • Industry News
    • theatersOther Photography Talk arrow_forward
      • Photo History Trivia
      • Open discussions
      • Technical Discussions
    • Site Discussions
    • theatersWelcome arrow_forward
      • chat_bubbleForum Guidelines arrow_forward
        • camera Misplaced Posts
  • Threads
  • Users
  • Web Site
  • message
  • group
  • chevron_right Threads
  • label Images Image Discussions
  • label Topic Weekly & Topic Image Threads
  • label B&W B&W Threads

Weekly Black and White Photography Thread Year 2 No. 31 (13 Sept 2026)

tprevatt
Sept. 12, 2026
chat_bubble_outline 33
arrow_downward first_page chevron_left
  • link
    tprevatt
    Members 1140 posts
    Sept. 14, 2026, 12:45 p.m. Sept. 14, 2026, 12:45 p.m.
    link
    @simplejoy has written:

    Trioplan_10cm_303 Kopie.jpg

    I call this one
    Photo: Synthesis

    I love old Triplet lenses and probably should try to create more B&W shots with them.

    Really nice composition and tonality. A classic rendering.

  • link
    softmarmotte
    Members 506 posts
    Sept. 14, 2026, 2:14 p.m. Sept. 14, 2026, 2:14 p.m.
    link

    Detail of a 19th C boat lift in Belgium

    live.staticflickr.com/65535/55527930378_6d8ec58629_5k.jpg140926 boat lift detail bw by softmarmotte, on Flickr

    tprevatt and simplejoy like this.

    favorite 2

  • link
    cpm
    Members 525 posts
    Sept. 14, 2026, 7:38 p.m. Sept. 14, 2026, 7:38 p.m.
    link
    @softmarmotte has written:

    Detail of a 19th C boat lift in Belgium

    live.staticflickr.com/65535/55527930378_6d8ec58629_5k.jpg140926 boat lift detail bw by softmarmotte, on Flickr

    I like subjects like this. A great subject for B&W. I will keep my eye out for appropriate subjects here locally, try to take a picture, make a conversion, and hopefully it will look good in B&W.

  • link
    cpm
    Members 525 posts
    Sept. 14, 2026, 7:40 p.m. Sept. 14, 2026, 7:40 p.m.
    link
    @simplejoy has written:

    Trioplan_10cm_303 Kopie.jpg

    I call this one
    Photo: Synthesis

    I love old Triplet lenses and probably should try to create more B&W shots with them.

    I am not familiar with "triplet" lenses, but this looks really cool and dreamy, yet sharp at the same time.

  • link
    cpm
    Members 525 posts
    Sept. 14, 2026, 7:42 p.m. Sept. 14, 2026, 7:42 p.m.
    link
    @Meeces has written:
    @Daneland has written:

    I added grain to make it look like a bit of film.

    P3G06864-2.jpg

    Someone beat me to the punch. I was going to say very film noir. Like a scene out of an old movie.

    To Daneland and Meeces... YES... I agree! Very well done. And the (almost) lone woman on the platform... takes you away to another time (old movie).

  • link
    cpm
    Members 525 posts
    Sept. 14, 2026, 7:44 p.m. Sept. 14, 2026, 7:44 p.m.
    link
    @simplejoy has written:
    @Daneland has written:
    @Meeces has written:

    A couple more warbirds. Tricky with straight grey/overcast, but I think I prefer that to bluebird skies. First is black and white conversion of a color image.

    DSCF2923 (1).jpeg

    Nice details on this.

    I agree and also enjoy the composition highlighting the inscription and breaking the image into parts. Works very well!

    Yes, this caught my eye, too. Well done Meeces!

  • link
    simplejoy
    Members 1989 posts
    Sept. 14, 2026, 7:46 p.m. Sept. 14, 2026, 7:46 p.m.
    link
    @cpm has written:

    I am not familiar with "triplet" lenses, but this looks really cool and dreamy, yet sharp at the same time.

    Thank you very much! It's one of the most famous and influential lens designs in history, invented in 1893 and consisting of 3 elements in 3 groups.

    Here's a drawing, though from a different lens series:

    www.simplejoy.at/wp-content/uploads/2026/07/Glaukar_LensDesign.jpg

  • link
    cpm
    Members 525 posts
    Sept. 14, 2026, 7:46 p.m. Sept. 14, 2026, 7:46 p.m.
    link
    @tprevatt has written:

    On Top - Looking at the Route Back Down

    bramch bw.jpg

    A timeless look. And the very nice subtle tones of the horses' coat/hair.

  • link
    cpm
    Members 525 posts
    Sept. 14, 2026, 7:52 p.m. Sept. 14, 2026, 7:52 p.m.
    link
    @tprevatt has written:
    @cpm has written:

    One Chicago. Just starting to weed through a lot of pictures and this one seemed to be a good candidate for B&W. Too bad there's a shadow on the lower portion. If I was a resident of the city and could scout-out a better time-of-day (or time of year)... that would be great! But for a tourist, it is what it is when you get there! The building is 1000 feet tall (305m) and there were clouds moving through the area, so I waited about 15 seconds for things to clear-up a bit. The top is a little fuzzy due to the atmospheric conditions.

    Love this. The building with its bring highlight is set off by negative space around it. Nicely done.

    Thank-you for the kind words. I am still "weeding through" a bunch of stuff and have found a couple more that might be worthwhile. I will post them. As I go through the various pictures, I'm finding that a lot of what I saw is almost "better" in B&W than in color. And... all I can think of now... is I missed so much! I need to get back to Chicago someday and just "focus" on walking around with the camera and looking for angles/shapes (rather than trying to do all of the "sightseeing" and museums with the family). There's "so much there" - it is mind boggling! LOL.

  • link
    cpm
    Members 525 posts
    Sept. 14, 2026, 10:25 p.m. Sept. 14, 2026, 10:25 p.m.
    link

    A few additional wide-angle B&W's from Chicago. There may be more! LOL. Always fun to process and make the conversion.

    Chicago Water Tower (1869)
    chicago-water-tower-BW.jpg

    Milwaukee Art Museum
    mam-01-BW.jpg

    Obama presidential center
    OPC-01-BW.jpg

    Michigan Avenue looking north
    water-tower-place-BW.jpg

    chicago-water-tower-BW.jpg

    JPG, 10.2 MB, uploaded by cpm on Sept. 14, 2026.

    mam-01-BW.jpg

    JPG, 4.2 MB, uploaded by cpm on Sept. 14, 2026.

    water-tower-place-BW.jpg

    JPG, 3.8 MB, uploaded by cpm on Sept. 14, 2026.

    OPC-01-BW.jpg

    JPG, 5.7 MB, uploaded by cpm on Sept. 14, 2026.

    Meeces likes this.

    favorite 1

  • link
    Meeces
    Members 254 posts
    Sept. 15, 2026, 1:18 a.m. Sept. 15, 2026, 1:18 a.m.
    link
    @cpm has written:

    One Chicago. Just starting to weed through a lot of pictures and this one seemed to be a good candidate for B&W. Too bad there's a shadow on the lower portion. If I was a resident of the city and could scout-out a better time-of-day (or time of year)... that would be great! But for a tourist, it is what it is when you get there! The building is 1000 feet tall (305m) and there were clouds moving through the area, so I waited about 15 seconds for things to clear-up a bit. The top is a little fuzzy due to the atmospheric conditions.

    one-chicago-BW.jpg

    Great image. I keep coming back and finding more interesting subjects and compositions within the composition.

  • link
    tprevatt
    Members 1140 posts
    Sept. 15, 2026, 2:13 p.m. Sept. 15, 2026, 2:13 p.m.
    link
    @softmarmotte has written:

    Detail of a 19th C boat lift in Belgium

    live.staticflickr.com/65535/55527930378_6d8ec58629_5k.jpg140926 boat lift detail bw by softmarmotte, on Flickr

    Geometric patterns always make good subject matter, especially when it is found in unanticipated places. Nicely seen and executed.

  • link
    tprevatt
    Members 1140 posts
    Sept. 15, 2026, 2:14 p.m. Sept. 15, 2026, 2:14 p.m.
    link
    @cpm has written:
    @tprevatt has written:

    On Top - Looking at the Route Back Down

    bramch bw.jpg

    A timeless look. And the very nice subtle tones of the horses' coat/hair.

    The beauty of the shine on the summer coat in morning sun.

  • link
    tprevatt
    Members 1140 posts
    Sept. 15, 2026, 2:23 p.m. Sept. 15, 2026, 2:23 p.m.
    link
    @cpm has written:

    A few additional wide-angle B&W's from Chicago. There may be more! LOL. Always fun to process and make the conversion.

    Chicago Water Tower (1869)
    chicago-water-tower-BW.jpg

    Milwaukee Art Museum
    mam-01-BW.jpg

    Obama presidential center
    OPC-01-BW.jpg

    Michigan Avenue looking north
    water-tower-place-BW.jpg

    I spent a year at the University of Chicago. I fell in love with the city (except for the winter ). I particularly like the geometric design of the composition in the second shot.

  • link
    stevet1
    Members 988 posts
    Sept. 19, 2026, 1:51 p.m. Sept. 19, 2026, 1:51 p.m.
    link

    Sunset 09/18/26

    I enjoy taking these kinds of photographs. They are so expressive.

    IMG_9028.JPG

    Steve Thomas

    IMG_9028.JPG

    JPG, 415.7 KB, uploaded by stevet1 on Sept. 19, 2026.

    tprevatt likes this.

    favorite 1

  • link
    tprevatt
    Members 1140 posts
    Sept. 19, 2026, 6:54 p.m. Sept. 19, 2026, 6:54 p.m.
    link
    @stevet1 has written:

    Sunset 09/18/26

    I enjoy taking these kinds of photographs. They are so expressive.

    IMG_9028.JPG

    Steve Thomas

    We enjoy seeing them. No two clouds are the same.

arrow_upward first_page chevron_left

There are no more posts in this thread.

  • DPRevived.com & the-photo.org are owned and operated by The Photographer's Foundation Limited, registered in England, company number 14795583. Contact us here https://the-photo.org/contact.html
powered by misago