• Members 1595 posts
    April 7, 2023, 11:12 p.m.

Next Monday, I thought I would continue our weekly photo thread that we had over at Dpreview. I am going to change the name to "Show Your Pictures", since some people in the past have objected to the word "Snaps" on the Dpreview Canon XD/XXD forum. My original idea for that name "Show Your Snaps" was to make everyone feel comfortable in showing their pictures, whether they were a beginner or an advanced photographer. As I noticed on one of the Olympus forums here (hosted by Roel), that they have included all brands. I'm considering doing the same, but since this is a new photography website with new people, I wanted to get your input. I'm flexible and want people feel comfortable with this. I didn't want to do critiques (unless asked) or have challenges. Someone else could do that. The reason I don't critique pictures is because I learned when doing photo challenges that everyone sees images differently. In other words, it's very subjective. Occasionally I might comment that a picture looks a little bright or too dark or blurry or something like that, but no "deep thinking" critiques (again, unless asked). Anyway, let me know your thoughts. Also anyone can take the lead on this, or we can share the lead at times. If someone takes the lead, it was also my idea that each image got a response by the lead. That's what I always did, unless I accidentally missed seeing the photo or photos. The reason for posting images each week, was more than just to share. It was also to learn what others were doing with their gear & settings and it could give all of us ideas of what to photograph etc. I'm not sure of the limit of photos to post, but I thought I would keep it to 10 resized images each time for now per post. Later we may learn from the Dprevived administration something different. But that should be a good starting point. If you find out something different, please let us all know. Thank you.

• Members 680 posts
    April 8, 2023, 12:36 a.m.

Dig,

I always noticed that this thread was one of, if not the most popular threads in the DPReview forum. People liked sharing the excitement they felt in taking and shar8ng their photos.
    I personally think it would be better to limit it to 4 - 6 photos per post to prevent any one person from dominating.a thread, and please ask people not to simply quote somebody's thread in its entirety, especially if it's got a lot of pictures in it. If you have someone post 10 pictures, and 2 or 3 or 4 people simply quote that post, you wind up seeing the same pictures 2 or 3 or 4 times.
    If one person posts 10 photos, and you only want to comment on one of them, you can hit your quote button, and cut out or delete the other 9.

Steve Thomas

• Members 1595 posts
    April 8, 2023, 12:48 a.m.

Hi Steve,

For me, I was thinking about limiting it to 10 resized pictures each time. But for other people, they can do what they want and/or what Dprevived would want. It was just a suggestion to keep it limited a little. Yes, I think it would be better to not quote or copy a large group of pictures each time. So, I think I'll limit that too. But those are not rules, just suggestions on a very new photography forum.

• Members 411 posts
    April 8, 2023, 8:19 a.m.

Hi Digirame,

I think it's a great idea to carry on such a popular thread as your 'Show Your Snaps' and I understand your reasoning for changing the name.

My take on the principal of opening it up to all brands is I'm good with that too, after all I used to show my pictures in a Rebel forum when I used to predominantly shoot with a 70D and 7D II. :-)

The reason I took to showing my pictures on 'Show You Snaps' was the openness of the forum, all types of photo styles were welcome, just put up your photos that you have taken.

I'm all for you hosting the new forum, lets carry on getting the enjoyment of taking and showing our pictures and hopefully encourage more people to join in the fun.

• Members 1595 posts
    April 8, 2023, 1:46 p.m.

Mocha,

OK...thanks for your thoughts. On Monday, I'll continue with the weekly Show Your Pictures with the same guidelines. I'll add a suggestion to limit the quote or copying of images as Steve had mentioned. Of course, that's only a suggestion as there could be a reason or preference to wanting to copy over the image or images.

• Members 411 posts
    April 8, 2023, 3:12 p.m.

Hi Digirame,

I've been looking around and trying to find out how this forum works and things that are different to DPReview as in Replying, here is a quote from one of the team.

**"To everyone here, the quote system unless you are familiar with it, is generating lots of mishaps on this site.

If you want to post a reply without a quote just click the larger 'Reply' button at the very base of the page (not a Reply button next to a post).

That's the 'Point A' simple approach and it keeps unnecessary long quotes out of the equation."**

This was fooling me at the beginning as I thought the reply buttons were all the same. There are other tricks to repying, I'll give you a link if you already haven't found the page, but I can see this being an issue for awhile till people know.

• Members 643 posts
    April 9, 2023, 7:45 a.m.

Sounds good.

I hope you will continue to accept other brands than Canon, as I'm technically an "outsider" now. 😆
    I was guilty of posting an excessive amount of photos in one post in my early DPR days (not that long ago)... I'm not sure if I exactly "dominated" [my photos aren't that good].

Happy Easter.

• Members 1595 posts
    April 9, 2023, 1:33 p.m.

Happy Easter.

Yes, we will continue to include all brands and models with our weekly "Show Your Pictures", unless Dprevived asks us to stop. A lot of people may start out with a Canon DSLR, only to begin using mirrorless cameras or other brands as you have done. I like my Canon mirrorless cameras for the video and for being lightweight, but the Canon DSLR still has an appeal for me. My mirrorless cameras are almost too small, especially the buttons and dials etc. But I have gotten used to them. Eventually I may purchase a Canon R camera too. We have so many choices.

Do you like your current camera better than the Canon 7D? I was a little surprised that you changed. The Canon 7D is an excellent camera. It's an upgrade to the Canon T2i (550D) cameras that I was using for years.

• Members 643 posts
    April 9, 2023, 5:03 p.m.

Well, to be honest, no.
    In fact I sorta miss the 7D. It was the weight that pushed me over.
    I'm not completely settled with my camera setup... I'm hoping to possibly get a cheap DSLR and a 50mm f/1.8 lens sometime.

• Members 1595 posts
    April 9, 2023, 7:28 p.m.

Hi Dunlin,

I'm able to tolerate the size & weight because I keep the cameras and lenses in side bags. I found them at thrift stores. It's kind of like a purse with straps. At least one of them is an athletic bag. So the weight that way is really not an issue, especially with just the Canon T7i (800D) camera and Canon 18-135mm lens. I also use the side bags to carry pocket-sized umbrellas. We get so much rain in the winter months, that is something I carry with me always even during the dry season. I also have a clean cloth for the lens in almost all of the bags and sometimes spare batteries and at least one charger. All of my lenses also have hoods even though that makes the camera/lens combination a little larger. That not only protects the lens, but also keeps the rain sprinkles from getting on the lens when I'm using an umbrella during rainstorms. I have purchased all of my hoods on Ebay for about $10 (USD) each.

With weight sometimes being an issue, I found the mirrorless cameras I have with the EF-M lenses tiny...almost too small. But I've gotten used to them and they are like feathers so-to-speak compared to my other DSLR cameras and lenses.

• Members 643 posts
    April 9, 2023, 7:31 p.m.

I was probably being a bit hard on the Olympus; certain things are certainly better about it (eg. the screen, the IBIS).
    Thanks for the info Digirame.

• Members 1595 posts
    April 9, 2023, 9:13 p.m.

I was using Olympus E500 and E510 DSLR cameras for many years before moving on to Canon. They were 8 and 10 megapixels. The Canon T2i (550D) camera offered 18 megapixels. I had other reasons to change too. But Olympus has still been making good cameras.

I like your lion avatar. That's quite cool. :-)

• Members 643 posts
    April 10, 2023, 8:25 a.m.

Thanks.
    Guess who? 😃

• Members 680 posts
    April 10, 2023, 1:49 p.m.

Dunlin,

Dear Mr. Lion King , :-)

I really like my T8i, and also have a 50mm 1.8.
    It's pretty light. I took this with the 50mm.

apple tree(2).jpg

Steve Thomas

apple tree(2).jpg

JPG, 337.8 KB, uploaded by stevet1 on April 10, 2023.

• Members 643 posts
    April 10, 2023, 2:50 p.m.

You got it.🙂
    Yeah, the nifty fifty lens itself isn't very heavy, but the 7D was. My little Olympus is less than half the weight of the 7D. I do still sort of miss the DSLR, regardless.

• Members 33 posts
    April 10, 2023, 11:20 p.m.

Digi, this is an interesting concern. As an owner of a 350D, a 40D a 7D, countless PowerShot cameras are several smartphones, I adopted the Canon Rebel (EOS 200D-800D) Talk Forum a long time ago and my photos came from various cameras.

I intend to do the same here because I have memorable photos taken with all my camera.

Since my wife passed away three months ago, I reconnected my photo printer (13x19) and decided to frame my best of the best to decorate the walls.

I have printed photos from several cameras like an old Kodak 1.5 megapixel from 2000 to my iPhone 11. Post processing enabled me to print little treasures that I could have never used 23 years ago (thanks Topaz Gigapixel AI and Pixelmator).

I hope I’ll be able to show what I like the most. And, with plenty of software the Exif information can be erased so how someone know which camera the photo comes from.

The following photo was taken with my iPhone and made it to a 9x12 frame. Hope I succeeded in uploading it because my photos are always saved in high resolution so I reduced it.

• Members 33 posts
    April 10, 2023, 11:26 p.m.

I seem to be failing at uploading a photo…IMG_4458.jpg

IMG_4458.jpg

JPG, 2.4 MB, uploaded by benjilafouine on April 10, 2023.