• Members 30 posts
    April 6, 2023, 3:48 a.m.

Previous to this I have pretty much only used adapted manual focusing lenses, so looking for tips that might help me get the most out of this combination. The lens arrived the other day, but I'm still waiting for the replacement foot to arrive.

I'm currently trying to get footage of the wild ducks that visit our garden. Their antics are often fast paced so I struggled to keep focus with manual lenses, but hopefully this lens should help.

One possible issue I have been thinking about is that I have tended to stop down (usually between F11-16) using my old 300mm F5.6 Nikkor on the 1DX II, but for AF with the 100-400 I should be sticking to wide open I guess?

Apart from that, what AF settings would be well suited for something like this?

As an aside, I mostly bought it for the flexibility in framing it offers, but perhaps what I should have gone for was a fast lens (400/2.8) for the extra focus points, even though I'd loose the flexibility in framing? I guess you can't have your cake and eat it!