• Members 1457 posts
    April 25, 2023, 5:55 a.m.

I came across this article in the UK Guardian, which explains the death of Buzzfeed. Looks like it is not just our beloved DPR and other photo sites that are slowly becoming zombies, but a whole raft of sites based on the written word. The article talks about news sites, but I think it is valid for a much wider spread of content producers.

Looks like people are increasingly getting their information from YouTube and Ticktock video. It was striking to see in the later days of DPR, just how many people posted links to some video or other. Looks like "DPReview TV", was a desperate attempt to keep the DPR ship afloat.

Maybe it was not the "evil" Bezos, or a fall in interest in photography, but a shift in how people get their information.

• April 25, 2023, 7:25 a.m.

I think that the trend is there, and it's a problem if an operation has become very large and dependent on a declining market. Eventually those markets stabilise and become a happy hunting ground for small niche operations. Think about the film market as an example.

• Members 621 posts
    April 25, 2023, 2:35 p.m.

I guess I’m just old. I hate watching video reviews. When DPReview posted them, I ignored them until a proper written review was done.

• April 25, 2023, 2:39 p.m.

Whilst I like Chris and Jordan, I have to say that the reviews didn't have the thoroughness and detail of the main editorial. It's actually difficult to do that, you need a very well equipped test studio.

• Members 1457 posts
    April 25, 2023, 2:58 p.m.

With the written word, you can skim and ignore the stuff you are not interested in. You can go back over a written review far more easily. Watching a video wastes so much time, most have the content buried in the presentation.

I find almost the totality of YouTube videos to be too superficial to be useful. But I quess it is less demanding to watch a talking head. Some wag told me the other days that "books are so old skool". I despair at times.

• Members 1522 posts
    April 25, 2023, 3:01 p.m.

I fully agree with you 👍🏻

• Members 535 posts
    April 25, 2023, 3:03 p.m.

A superficial review is a superficial review. Regardless of the medium.

• Members 209 posts
    April 25, 2023, 3:51 p.m.

really?

• Members 209 posts
    April 25, 2023, 4:05 p.m.

I also thought of DPR when I read that, but the situation for now seems a bit different there. The article in The Guardian refers to a number of sites that are still accessible but frozen in time at a mostly abrupt closure. They are dead as the well known parrot. DPR is indeed more of a zombie, with an occasional item and some forum activity. What the purpose of this is, remains unclear,
    But the article does not add much about the why of this demise

• Members 1457 posts
    April 25, 2023, 4:23 p.m.

The article is quite clear about the rise in people preferring video, over those reading a written text.

• Foundation 1405 posts
    April 25, 2023, 5:16 p.m.

I have to agree with every word above. Videos take far too much time to say what one can easily read. But then, the quality of written material is not always good, and I dread the advent of AI reviews, which presumably will just spout the bleeding obvious!

I suspect that most of those who have migrated here agree with us. If so, that will help to ensure that the site will persist. I notice that the argumentative brigade here have run out of steam, and hope this is not a temporary affliction! I have had my fill of the theory of exposure triangles and ISO settings...

David

• Members 1457 posts
    April 25, 2023, 5:32 p.m.

Really, yes, really, in our society where ignorance must be "celebrated".

• Members 621 posts
    April 25, 2023, 5:35 p.m.

True. And intelligence is attacked and derided.

• Members 243 posts
    April 25, 2023, 5:35 p.m.

I honestly think there is room for both if that is what people want. I have used both, although if a video is very long, like most thorough ones are, I tend to lean towards organized written words. That way I can skip things like video capability.

• Removed user
    April 25, 2023, 5:52 p.m.

One factor I haven't seen mentioned is the use of Ad blocking. At one point at DPR, there was no forum content visible without having to scroll down after opening the page. I got AdBlock Plus and was now able to read the top part of a list without scrolling past that big stupid banner. I assume that adblockers do reduce revenue - as I was bluntly informed by a DPR Mod ...

• April 25, 2023, 6 p.m.

There is no theory of exposure triangles.

I see what you mean.

• Members 360 posts
    April 25, 2023, 6:10 p.m.

Except there is? 🤪

• Members 457 posts
    April 25, 2023, 6:36 p.m.

That was always the case.
    In 1980, Isaac Asimov wrote:
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.