• Members 676 posts
    May 8, 2023, 3:13 p.m.

Let me show you ….

Blue Jay.jpg

Cardinal.jpg

My only reason ….

WhyNot

Cardinal.jpg

JPG, 2.0 MB, uploaded by WhyNot on May 8, 2023.

Blue Jay.jpg

JPG, 2.5 MB, uploaded by WhyNot on May 8, 2023.

• Members 567 posts
    May 8, 2023, 6:03 p.m.

Did you process these WN, other than saving as jpgs? Curiosity only! The blue jay turned out very well but mostly because the light on the head was better. I have used procapture for birds with low speed burst shooting but never at a high rate, likely set for about the same as the burst rate at around eight frames per second.

Andrew

• Members 676 posts
    May 8, 2023, 7:39 p.m.

Thanks, Jim .... Always glad to read your comments ...

• Members 676 posts
    May 8, 2023, 8 p.m.

Yes .. I rarely post anything that has not had some PP. These went through the standard OV3 conversion to a TIFF. I believe that I individually did some noise reduction in Neat Image rather than batch as I am trying to tune it to these birds .. Then minor adjustments in Affinity ...

Don't remember the light but I usually don't do much with birds this time of the year. I've been getting out after breakfast to get the best light but the birds will move between bright light to shade and make exposure complicated. Sometimes they are partially in sun and partially in shade and those white feathers become problematic. . Better exposure control if overcast -- bright sometimes works, deeper overcast requires some playing around to keep the ISO at 6400 or less but even then that can be tricky when working this fast .... Tried ProCap L to use the AFC and get better focus but M1.2 defeats that as always by even moving off the bird sitting still, maybe OM1 does it better .... also I find the L doesn't get the frames I want .. wouldn't go there even though fixed focus in ProCap Hi is definitely a problem ....

Didn't really like them?? ...... Not sure I can do much better ....

WhyNot

• Members 567 posts
    May 9, 2023, 3:36 a.m.

Didn't really like them?? ...... Not sure I can do much better ....

WhyNot
    [/quote]

I liked the bluejay image WN but would likely bin the cardinal or try to lift the shadows around the head if that could be made to work. The capture of the cardinal itself is fine but it flew so that its head ended up partly shaded.

Andrew

• Members 676 posts
    May 9, 2023, 2:44 p.m.

I liked the bluejay image WN but would likely bin the cardinal or try to lift the shadows around the head if that could be made to work. The capture of the cardinal itself is fine but it flew so that its head ended up partly shaded.

Andrew
    [/quote]

Alright here is the cardinal again

Cardinal Shadow lifted.jpg

and an earlier shot in the sequence

Cardinal 2.jpg

Better? ... Not looking for gallery quality at this point and maybe never will ..... but .... just good .... I am still working on the process and developing a technique that I might add to my personal toolbox ....

WhyNot

Cardinal 2.jpg

JPG, 1.9 MB, uploaded by WhyNot on May 9, 2023.

Cardinal Shadow lifted.jpg

JPG, 2.1 MB, uploaded by WhyNot on May 9, 2023.

• Members 567 posts
    May 9, 2023, 8:29 p.m.

I like the last cardinal of the ones you posted this time.

Andrew

• Members 676 posts
    May 9, 2023, 9:48 p.m.

Sorry, it's really ProCapture. Its a function introduced by Olympus on the E-M1.2 and later cameras. It is now found on other FF brands under different names . It probably should have been named PreCapture as it allow the photographer to start recording a preset number of images as he half presses the shutter button. The camera continues to record frames until the shutter button is pressed but only retains that preset number of files. The set is only recorded when he completely presses the shutter button rerecording those frames along with a set number of frames taken using the high speed sequential frame rate after the button is pressed.

I think this is correct ...

WhyNot

• Members 336 posts
    May 9, 2023, 10:08 p.m.

Pro Capture is a feature of high-end Olympus and OM cameras which will make a specified number of pictures while you hold the shutter button half pressed and save the number you have specified when you fully press the shutter button. That means that you can focus on a perched bird waiting for it to fly and get the bird's take off which you are usually not fast enough to get with a regular shutter operation. So you get the take off you would have missed. If your camera also has subject recognition auto focus (set to bird recognition) the two features work nicely together allowing you to get pictures which are very difficult to get without these features.

If you have to wait for the bird to fly, Pro Capture will save the specified number of pictures, then delete them and start over until you fully push the shutter button.

It works like a charm and that's how I got these. Rich

Edit: Sorry, WhyNot. I was working on this post before you posted yours and saw yours after I posted mine.

[M2263566a.jpg]
    (/a/u9w5mWaYt5PIN60EsSbySoj6SF92oGg7Xjqtf06v12IP0ocku3fmSGNVWYY2Clzc/7488/?shva=1)

MA216080a.jpg

MA216080a.jpg

JPG, 1.1 MB, uploaded by RichZ on May 9, 2023.

M2263566a.jpg

JPG, 1.6 MB, uploaded by RichZ on May 9, 2023.