11 votes, 13% of total.
  • 11 votes, 13% of total.
Visit both
42 votes, 50% of total.
  • 42 votes, 50% of total.
  • May 11, 2023, 4:26 p.m.

He's got a very big spade.

• May 11, 2023, 4:28 p.m.

Plenty of ways around it. IPs are more or less useless for troll spotting these days.

• Members 209 posts
    May 11, 2023, 4:29 p.m.

I think GB will be satisfied that even alfn finally got that joke

• Members 878 posts
    May 11, 2023, 4:48 p.m.

An "ignore" option, if the software allows it, would leave any troll trolling himself only.

• May 11, 2023, 4:57 p.m.

The SW doesn't have it - but no, it doesn't do that. That's why I'm not a fan. What happens is that the rest of the world sees the troll trolling an individual and the trolled apparently not responding. Since Porky's MO is telling loads of lies to counteract the facts that others put forward all it means is that the lies go unanswered.

• Removed user
    May 11, 2023, 5:14 p.m.

Got it. Thanks for the explanation!

• Members 598 posts
    May 11, 2023, 9:10 p.m.

I'd rather see them here than see them in political office, which seems to be more and more popular. Hey! There's an idea! Maybe DPRevived can host government debates! That would be awesome! Surely, we could do better than CNN just did, right? : )

• Members 535 posts
    May 11, 2023, 9:24 p.m.

Oh no...

Another kilometric thread that you'll have to read to get some real fun !!

( well, may be not a bad idea - we can ask some known members to be a moderator on that thread only !! )

• May 11, 2023, 9:55 p.m.

This guy's got the answer as to how to make this site perfect.

• May 11, 2023, 10:04 p.m.

Yes, I noticed that post earlier and was tempted to reply, but I couldn't be bothered

Alan

• May 11, 2023, 10:20 p.m.

I'm banned from replying to him, so if anyone wants to....
    Frankly, I think he's on a losing proposition there - especially given who he seems to think are 'the right moderators' (though he might have been making a play for Mako, I suppose).

• Members 217 posts
    May 11, 2023, 10:42 p.m.

Had the biggest laugh reading that on dpreview tonight. Oh the hilarity! Almost spat out my drink.

• Members 3338 posts
    May 11, 2023, 11:01 p.m.

You are proving my point :-D

• Members 598 posts
    May 12, 2023, 4:18 a.m.

"...we all can experience now, how good it could be, if the right people and the right moderation come together." Oh -- the "right" people. Got it. Thought he said something that rhymed with that. : )

• Members 140 posts
    May 13, 2023, 2:29 p.m.

There certainly are a lot of arrogant, clueless photographers out there.

My wish for this place is if we could all answer Beginner questions with the simplicity they demand. “I took these photos and they came out blurry” doesn’t need a math treatise, an argument about the term “exposure triangle” or a description of RGGB. Just explain that they were out of focus or the shutter speed was too low.

“The answer to your question is X. If you need more help or want to learn more, let us know.”

On the other hand, the things I’ve learned from Bob, Iliah and Jim Kasson are pure gold. This forum has the best of the best.

• Removed user
    May 13, 2023, 3:21 p.m.

I like to do the stats on photographic polls ...

Current "stay" versus "both" at 95% confidence level, population say 4000 ...

... about +/-10% margin of error for either one - so it could go either way.

www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm

I voted to stay but just went back to both

• May 13, 2023, 5:52 p.m.

I think most of us can answer questions with simplicity. The problem on DPReview's BQ was not that people who know the theory could not give simple and well directed answers. Rather it was that when they did people who insisted that the theory is other than it is would challenge it, resulting in a long debate about what the theory was, which usually would finish up with the theory deniers, having lost all the rational arguments, denouncing teh theory itself and anyone who adhered to it. The other scenario was that one of the theory deniers would provide the poor beginner with an answer which was clearly wrong, would be challenged by someone who knew that - resulting in the same debate,

• Members 621 posts
    May 13, 2023, 6:16 p.m.

That’s why I stopped posting information there. Happened in each forum though. It would normally start with me pointing out an error in someone’s post. They would then say I didn’t know what I was talking about. I would post a test confirming they were mistaken. It then falls apart with them saying I faked the test, I’m a liar, I don’t use and experience the gear in question, etc, etc. Gets tiring. Best to let them enjoy their ignorance because it makes them happy.