Go back to DPReview and enjoy the [psts
11 votes, 13% of total.
  • 11 votes, 13% of total.
Visit both
42 votes, 50% of total.
  • 42 votes, 50% of total.
  • Members 280 posts
    May 22, 2023, 12:51 p.m.

I never posted a gear list because it seems to be an invitation to burglars. Not that I have any valuable gear, but even having to find a replacement for a Nikkor AI lens is a pain.

Don

• Members 280 posts
    May 22, 2023, 1:04 p.m.

If I were setting up a test scene, I would not include colour photographs of faces. Many people think that these give some indication of how a camera will record real faces.

Don

• Members 303 posts
    May 22, 2023, 9:36 p.m.

It seems very early to announce the resurrection of DPR. Amazon is a for profit company and they are not going to pour good money after bad down a rathole that cost them money. That's why it closed. Two of their top draws left and are now over at PP. Imaging Resources got a new buyer and I guess they figured out quickly it was not worth the cost to keep it going and shut it down. Why Amazon bought it was when they did, million of point and shoot digital cameras were flying off the shelves and it was a great advertising outlet. It was worth the cost. Then the iPhone hit and over time pretty quickly killed the P&S small sensor market. No longer did DPR make financial sense to Amazon. They probably kept it going longer than they should have from a financial point of view.

So we will see. However, while the UI was better on DPR - particularly the threaded view in the forum on DPR - it will evolve here. Right now DPR offers me nothing I can't get elsewhere and in reality at the end of the day does anyone really trust it? I know I don't. As the old song goes - "turn out the lights the party is over...."

Truman

• May 22, 2023, 9:38 p.m.

I have noticed recently that DPReview is still there and is getting more 'normal' posts (ones discussing cameras and suchlike). I wish Amazon would let us know what it intends to do.

Alan

• Members 217 posts
    May 22, 2023, 9:47 p.m.

It is a bit of a joke isn't it. Site announces it's closing for good and will be gone on a certain day. I fully expect it to be gone the next but it's hear going along seemingly as normal a month later. Way to be honest and forthcoming with the readership...

• Members 599 posts
    May 22, 2023, 9:54 p.m.

The real question should be, "does Amazon even know what it is doing"?

• Members 72 posts
    May 22, 2023, 10:56 p.m.

Alan,
    As I wrote a few days ago it's most likely that DPReview will have new owners soon. No one knows for sure but it does seem as if the negotitions are on going. Hence the reason for the communications blackout.
    Should DPReview 2.0 arise from the still burning embers then my belief is that they and DPRevived can coexist. I would certainly stay as a member of both as, based on what i see currently, both are focused on different readerships.
    I would expect to find here detailed discussions on the technical aspects of photography in the main, whereas over at DPReview I'd go for reviews, news with forums more about individual camera related items. In fact twice recently I've asked camera related questions on both forums and both times only received replies on the other site.
    No doubt there has been some fallout given how it's all been badly handled but if the blame can be laid squarely at Amazon's feet then they could well get a lot of their readship back.
    Of course should the negotiations fail, which is always a possibility, then expect your membership to rise.
    Just my observations and feelings to date.

• Members 81 posts
    May 22, 2023, 10:58 p.m.

Scott Everett's Twitter seems quite active with photography related tweets.

• Members 6 posts
    May 22, 2023, 11:20 p.m.

Unsure. I haven't interacted much here, and I don't interact much on DPR anymore. Probably hit both sites up once a day or so.

• Members 14 posts
    May 22, 2023, 11:51 p.m.

I liked the old site. They really knew how to get my GAS going. Mind you, I never bought any cameras or lenses off Amazon and never would but the interest for something new and better was always there. This and the alternate sites just don't do it for me. I may be an outlier, but it seems to me, the camera industry might do well to support the survival of DPR.

• Members 284 posts
    May 23, 2023, 2:01 a.m.

Since when was DPR closed? It is just as alive as ever.

• Members 73 posts
    May 25, 2023, 12:10 a.m.

I would probably use both-simply because the interface on this forum is too bizarre to ever truly get a clear handle on the entire thing. It's like reading a dictionary that isn't in alphabetical order. Yeah the threads thing is cool and that is probably as far as most people will ever venture into the site. I have literally been searching for the last 15 minutes trying to find how to upload pics . Never did find it. This interface is simply not intuitive.

• Members 3343 posts
    May 25, 2023, 12:18 a.m.

You couldn't have looked too hard.

dprevived.com/t/how-to-upload-your-own-pictures-to-this-site/2039/#post-17538

You can also get help on how to do other things in the How To Do Things On This Site forum.

• Members 212 posts
    May 25, 2023, 1:34 a.m.

I would still check them out for news and camera reviews - not videos. Over 20 years there and I neve posted an image. I've already posted a bunch here.
    Thanks for all the work put into this new forum,
    barondla

• Members 14 posts
    May 26, 2023, 10:34 a.m.

I would go back.to DPReview. I just don't get how this site functions. That's why I missed the vote. When I go back to DPReview for a look, it's like putting on an old pair of gloves, it fits.

• May 26, 2023, 10:43 a.m.

The problem is, the only way to make a site work just like DPReview is to use their SW, which isn' t available. It took you a while to work out DPReview, but you've probably forgotten that. This site's SW has some advantages, and we're trying to add the best functionality of DPReview as we can, though often it will work in a slightly different way

• Members 510 posts
    May 26, 2023, 11:09 a.m.

@BobT

It takes two clicks to access any thread in any forum from the homepage.
    Here: dprevived.com/

You can also click on Subforms if you are feeling adventurous. lol

It takes one click to access any thread from the Threads page.
    Here: dprevived.com/threads/

• May 27, 2023, 9:07 a.m.

Well, as of today DPReview has a new short review (on the Leica Q3), non Amazon ads, and a slimmed-down staff list. I suspect it's not going anywhere.