Go back to DPReview and enjoy the [psts
11 votes, 13% of total.
  • 11 votes, 13% of total.
Visit both
42 votes, 50% of total.
  • 42 votes, 50% of total.
  • Members 153 posts
    May 10, 2023, 11:10 p.m.

It is still showing on mine. My bookmark takes me to the Nikon DSLR Fx forum, but both that and the home page dpreview.com show blue banner with "DPR closure: an update" with the update being April 7th And a link to the original announcement

• Members 510 posts
    May 10, 2023, 11:16 p.m.

From this morning’s video.
    May not be in chronological order.

6.png

5.png

4.png

3.png

2.png

1.png

6.png

PNG, 88.1 KB, uploaded by Greg on May 10, 2023.

5.png

PNG, 33.4 KB, uploaded by Greg on May 10, 2023.

2.png

PNG, 47.5 KB, uploaded by Greg on May 10, 2023.

3.png

PNG, 35.6 KB, uploaded by Greg on May 10, 2023.

4.png

PNG, 29.6 KB, uploaded by Greg on May 10, 2023.

1.png

PNG, 40.1 KB, uploaded by Greg on May 10, 2023.

• Members 217 posts
    May 10, 2023, 11:31 p.m.

Same...the all threads list is better than dpreview and as several here mentioned it prevents everyone staying in camp nikon or camp sony / canon etc.

• Members 164 posts
    May 10, 2023, 11:43 p.m.

Something in your cache maybe? It’s definitely gone here.

IMG_0570.pngIMG_0569.png

IMG_0570.png

PNG, 4.6 MB, uploaded by Threaded on May 10, 2023.

IMG_0569.png

PNG, 1.0 MB, uploaded by Threaded on May 10, 2023.

• Removed user
    May 10, 2023, 11:49 p.m.

Yep, gone on mine too ... with no explanation of course ...

• Members 153 posts
    May 11, 2023, 12:28 a.m.

I had cleared my cache, browsing history, 4 or 5 times today before replying to you. The banner was there.

After seeing your reply a few minutes ago, and I had cleared my cache, etc., about a half hour prior, I went back and it's now gone on mine. Browser not clearing as it should maybe???

Not unexpected, but I would have thought that they would have updated. Not like they can just pretend it never happened. I guess they (or someone else) is keeping it open.

• Members 284 posts
    May 11, 2023, 12:46 a.m.

That banner is gone. when they start changing the narrative and gave a pseudo-update with no real information about it I knew they would stay alive somehow.

The question is if this place going to continue with the imminent survival of DPR. We are 4000 members so far, I don't know if there is a goal to reach?

• Members 153 posts
    May 11, 2023, 12:54 a.m.

I prefer it here. Out of the 4000, I think there is about 1400 that has actually posted. Bob and team are doing a lot of work, so at some point they will have to decide if it's worth it.

• Members 510 posts
    May 11, 2023, 1:09 a.m.

Of course it’s worth it, anyone can see that this is by far a much better, fresh and organized forum (& subforums) with an optimistic future.
    Those who decide to go back to dpreview deserve to be there.

As far as I’m concerned, it’s yesterday’s news and wild horses couldn't drag me back.

.02 ₵

You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space. If you analyze it as you're moving forward, you'll never fall in the same trap twice, which I can't say that I haven't been guilty of doing. But my advice is, if they're going to break your legs once when you go in that place, stay out of there.

Johnny Cash. June 25, 1993 Glacier Park, Montana.

• Members 153 posts
    May 11, 2023, 1:31 a.m.

The announcement and update is still there on the homepage, right side under The announcement and update is still there on the homepage, right side under @DPReview Right now the top story is "The Nikon Z8 has arrived.........., scroll down from there.

No idea why it's doubling up on "The announcement and update is still there on the homepage" It's correct in the edit view

• Members 173 posts
    May 11, 2023, 2:41 a.m.

Interesting. It looks like dpreview is no longer dead. Since the staff knew back in January the site would close down, someone must have been in negotiations since that decision to take over the site.

I'll hang out here and keep an eye on dpreview I guess.

• Members 3334 posts
    May 11, 2023, 2:47 a.m.

I haven't seen anything that indicates the forums will keep going after the archiving has been completed.

The forums are very, very quiet now and I'm sure that if Amazon has "officially" done a back-flip on the closure then it would be in their best interests to announce it immediately before the alternative sites become the norm in order to try to get members back asap.

There is no reason to keep the current closure announcement on display on dpreview if they have changed their minds.

• Members 284 posts
    May 11, 2023, 3 a.m.

There are more indications that will remain on business. Do you think they will bother to produce video reviews if they were “archiving”? Richard Butler said the whole staff is still working at their offices and that they can’t make any official announcement yet.

• Members 3334 posts
    May 11, 2023, 3:13 a.m.

What they are doing at the moment is totally consistent with what they announced and still have on display at dpreview. I don't see continuing to publish content as being anything different to what they said they were going to do while archiving.

"We’ve also heard that you need more time to access the site, so we’re going to keep publishing some more stories while we work on archiving."

My interpretation of that is that it's mostly business as usual until the archiving is completed. After archiving is completed they will most likely close.

• Members 284 posts
    May 11, 2023, 3:26 a.m.

They remove the closing announcement and the update too. They are closing nothing, the brit imply that in more than one occasion.

• Members 3334 posts
    May 11, 2023, 3:39 a.m.

Aahhh, you might be right.

The closure update announcement was still appearing in my browser, different to the one I use for dprevived, until I cleared the browser cache after seeing your previous post.

Yes, the closure update announcement is gone now. Maybe something is going on behind the scenes at the moment regarding the longer term future for the forums but isn't finalised yet.

• Members 284 posts
    May 11, 2023, 4 a.m.

I wonder if they are going to hire Chris and Jordan back 😂

• Members 3334 posts
    May 11, 2023, 4:06 a.m.

I'm sure if they want to lure them back they will have to offer them a lot more than what they were getting previously 😀