• Members 8 posts
    May 2, 2023, 10:07 a.m.

Hi everyone!

Occasionally when I turn the camera upside down and then back I can feel a very subtle "vibration" inside. Almost like the weight of some part shifts from one side to the other within the body. I'm guessing it's the sensor since it only happens when the camera is turned off as far as I can tell.

I'm probably just paranoid but wanted to check if anyone else's X-T5 does the same thing? Thank you

• May 2, 2023, 11:23 a.m.

I tried mine but couldn't feel anything. Did you try it wit a lens on? Maybe its the IS in the lens as I douby you'd be able to feel the sensor shifting.

Or the battery is a bit loose? Take the battery out and try again?

Alan

• Members 8 posts
    May 2, 2023, 12:01 p.m.

Thanks for the reply. I tried again without a lens and without a battery and it's still occurring. It's most prominent when holding the camera by placing the thumb on the hot shoe and all other fingers on the bottom of the body and shaking it lightly.

• Members 535 posts
    May 2, 2023, 12:03 p.m.

Sounds like the normal movement of the uncoupled sensor element when the camera isn’t powered up and engaging the IBIS magnets. Dont shake the baby, but otherwise carry on as normal.

• Members 8 posts
    May 2, 2023, 12:09 p.m.

I thought the same yeah. I was really gentle but good point :)

• Members 535 posts
    May 2, 2023, 12:31 p.m.

Lest I give you a false impression, I don’t think about it at all, or take it into consideration, in my day-to-day handling of the X-S10 — which is often treated with casual nonchalance in the field. I was just suggesting that you discontinue testing.

Enjoy your camera!

• Members 303 posts
    May 2, 2023, 1:23 p.m.

Certain lenses, e.g., the X90 f2, the X50-140 f2.8 use linear magnetic motors. They are fast because they use electro magnets to move selected elements for focusing. With the large elements in those lenses, when power is not applied one can feel a "clunk" when these lenses shift because they are not being held in place. Looking at the XH1 at one point, the sensor shift assembly used to support IBIS has some mass and there is no physical lock down for the sensor when power is not applied. So it will move. That is why most camera companies will recommend that the "floating" sensor be cleaned with the camera turned on so the sensor is not moved during the process. While I expect IBIS failure is rare, I would feel more comfortable if the sensor was bolted to the frame so to speak when I take my camera on my bike or on horseback. That is the reason I'm not all that keen on Fuji stuffing IBIS in the XPro series. I don't know the current draw of the actuators but it might be nice to have a mode that to keep sufficient power on them to keep the sensor locked in place if desired. Of course a physical locked down state would be better.

• Members 8 posts
    May 2, 2023, 2:25 p.m.

Yeah, I had felt a bit uneasy with the amount of noise on the XF 70-300 but grew accustomed to it eventually. Time will tell, but I'd bet they took sensor movement into account in their failure rate estimations and deemed this approach viable. I guess the question here is what they consider a "normal usage shake". All in all, I will try to get used to this subtle thingy and enjoy my camera without stressing too much about it :)

• Members 303 posts
    May 2, 2023, 8:08 p.m.

Yeah, I know. However, it seems that in the Z9 Nikon designed the sensor assembly so that the sensor is locked in place with the camera is off. So clearly it can be done and sure seems to me to be a good ideal. F=ma and force is not a friend to most things. Clearly there is more potential force on a FF sensor than an APSC sensor since the mass is greater. But the sensor in the GFX100 is also floating.