• Members 86 posts
    May 7, 2023, 9:33 p.m.

Hi all

I am pretty close to pressing the buy button on the X-T5. I just want to hear if anyone has any experience with the Smallrig 3822 battery and charger? It is noticeably cheaper than the Fuji battery and charger and from what I have read, the battery offers around 80% regarding number of shots.

Ulrik

• May 8, 2023, 12:55 p.m.
  • Members 86 posts
    May 8, 2023, 1:26 p.m.

Thanks Alan. There seems to be an awful lot of different third party batteries and chargers around. Good to know this brand works for you - I'll make a note.

Ulrik

• Members 535 posts
    May 8, 2023, 2:28 p.m.

FWIW, coming from someone who doesn’t have a camera using the new style Fujifilm batteries… (Which arguably haven’t been around long enough for battery problems to become prevalent anyhow).

I’ve had good luck with Wasabi brand batteries in my Fujifilm, Olympus, and Panasonic cameras. I generally start any shooting day/session with a fresh battery and the battery removed from the camera is topped off regardless of its charge state. I don't intentionally run batteries down to empty — though it does happen.

I primarily use an external Nitecore charger, though I will charge a battery in-camera under certain circumstances. For example, if I’m traveling very light, or to top off an in-camera battery during a break, or prior to my heading out the door (if a battery swap isn't expedient). I avoid leaving a charger connected to the camera for long periods and I monitor all batteries, Fuji and third-party, for signs of swelling. (So far none found.) Using the inexpensive Wasabi batteries allows me to rotate through a relatively large library of batteries for each camera. No single battery is exposed to multiple charge/discharge cycles in short order on a regular basis.

• Members 6 posts
    May 8, 2023, 3:45 p.m.

The W235 Fuji battery lasts so long that I feel comfortable carrying just one additional battery when out and about. So far I have never dipped into that second battery during a one day trip. I feel more comfortable sticking with the Fuji. I use the ProCube II at home and the Nitecore dual when traveling and like them both.

• Members 29 posts
    May 9, 2023, 2:39 p.m.

I bought a Nitecore battery (and dual charger) to go with my X-T5. I don’t have a lot of cycles on the battery yet, but it might be another one to consider. Has worked fine and feels roughly equivalent to Fuji native battery is the short time I’ve had it so far. Not sure what the price of it is currently, but it was a bit more expensive than other third parties at the time. Figured I’d try it since many report how well the charger works, and it’s a better known third party brand.

Matt

• Members 17 posts
    May 9, 2023, 5:54 p.m.

While I am sure they are good batteries, I have shied away from third party batteries for two reasons. First, the additional cost of a Fuji versus a third party battery as a percentage of the body cost is small. Second, there have been reports of third party batteries swelling and I doubt Fuji would honour the warranty if a third party battery was used.

• Members 421 posts
    May 10, 2023, 7:13 a.m.

Hi, Matt,

I bought a Nitecore charger to take on the trip with my regular Fuji batteries. It has done a great job so far. If, by inference, the batteries display the same quality, I may want to stay with Nitecore. Sometimes I wonder if there is one company in one palace making all the 3rd party choices and just allowing the sales companies to put their brand on them.

Bob

• Members 86 posts
    May 11, 2023, 5:18 p.m.

Thanks everyone for your replies and tips - I went with the Nitecore FX-3 charger and 2 original Fuji batteries.

Now comes the unboxing :)

Ulrik

• Members 7 posts
    May 11, 2023, 6:10 p.m.

I've been using the Nitecore FX3 charger for my OEM batteries with great results. As an aside, I have given up on anything but OEM batteries for all of my cameras. 😉

• Members 285 posts
    May 13, 2023, 12:11 p.m.

I agree, great charger and fast. Provides lots of info about the battery charge state, possibly more than some will want:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QPPPGZP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Or

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QPVWZ7L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been using Watson NP-W235 Li-Ion Battery (7.2V, 2250mAh) and they seem about the same as the Fuji ones.
    www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1583471-REG/watson_b_2112_np_w235_li_ion_battery_7_2v.html

Both charge well in the above chargers

Morris