• Members 411 posts
    Dec. 4, 2023, 11:27 a.m.

Hi David,

That looks like a heavy snow fall, here in the north UK we've only had a smattering where I live.

• Members 411 posts
    Dec. 4, 2023, 2:01 p.m.

Hi Digirame, Thank You.

I was lucky to get some Sunshine before the Winter snow arrived. πŸ˜ƒ

• Members 1568 posts
    Dec. 4, 2023, 3:58 p.m.

Mocha,

Thanks. πŸ˜€

I was reading that a self-sustaining Wood Duck population is rare in the UK. One person said that that was because it needs a warmer spring and summer, since the female does not sit too long on the eggs. But I suspect that there must be certain places in the UK where the Wood Duck could reproduce. I hope you find some. Another person mentioned Surrey and Berkshire. Are those counties? If they are, that probably doesn't help much locate specific locations.

• Foundation 1400 posts
    Dec. 4, 2023, 4:33 p.m.

Surrey is SW of London, Berkshire is W of London. Neither is any warmer than other counties nearby. I would think the west of England might be better (Devon, Cornwall, Dorset), though, as everwhere in the world, climate change is making England warmer every year!

David

• Members 1568 posts
    Dec. 5, 2023, 2:01 a.m.

Subject: Breaking News πŸ˜€

Hey guys, my RF lens arrived a few minutes ago. I had already received the camera, ordered the lens hood, got a wrist strap, charged up the battery, added to the camera a SD card previously. I didn't drop anything. πŸ˜€ I made a few tests after I put it all together and I was highly impressed. I took ISO32000 and ISO40000 photos and was amazed; it's way beyond my expectations. I don't know if I told you all, but the refurbished total price for both the Canon RP and Canon RF 24-105mm F4-7.1 lens was $678 (USD) as a Black Friday special.

It's night time now where I live, so I'm not planning to do any more testing until tomorrow. I've also got to get a USB-A to USB-C cable. I'm sharing this with you all, not only to share my excitement, but also to give you any ideas of what you may want to consider purchasing in the future. Save up...look for deals...you will be happy with a full frame camera like this if you already don't have one.

• Foundation 1400 posts
    Dec. 5, 2023, 9:44 a.m.

I went from a Canon 5D to the RP β€” both full frame cameras. Even using my old EF lenses with the adaptor the improvement in picture quality was extremely noticeable to me. I attribute this to the lack of mirrors, which inevitably reduce light and contrast.

At the time of the change I was also using my little Sony RX100, which although it has a smaller sensor (and is much more difficult to use) is also mirrorless and provides quality and noise levels only a little less than the RP. It is, however, limited to 24-70mm and 20 Mp. In that case, as in the case of my newly acquired Leica, which like the Sony has a fixed lens, I attribute the high quality to the ability of the manufacturer to control the conditions when only one lens is connected. No doubt that the manufacture of the lens makes all the difference (Leica, Zeiss in these two cases). I do not have any of the Canon top quality L lenses, but I am sure they would improve both the RP and the R6 that I have. However, they cost 2-3k each, they are heavy, and carrying around a bag full of them is tiring, unless you have a slave to do it for you β€” like golfers with their caddies!

So I am glad to see that Digi has made this incremental jump of quality. I know that the thrill that this engenders is a considerable spur to developing oneβ€˜s technique and creativity, and is not just an excuse to spend money!

As far as my R6 is concerned, it will still fill a need with the wide angle lenses that I have for architectural photos, and the EF70-300mm lens that is useful for some country vistas and for details in town (like the Rathausmann that I showed a few months back). Horses for courses. The only problem is planning ahead which camera/lens to take with me β€” I always seem to have the wrong one in the bag!

Onward and upward!

David

• Members 561 posts
    Dec. 5, 2023, 10:19 a.m.

I do disagree with the above.πŸ˜‹
    When you take a picture with a DSLR of even a SLR, the mirror moves up and is the path the light travels to your sensor is the same path as in a MLC. (straight)
    Only when focussing and using a viewfinder a DSLR uses the mirror and a Pentaprism/pentamirror for the viewfinder

• Foundation 1400 posts
    Dec. 5, 2023, 11:20 a.m.

You are correct, sorry! Then how to explain the superior quality of mirrorless systems?

David

• Members 561 posts
    Dec. 5, 2023, 11:37 a.m.

Canon puts better DIGIC Image Processors in the newer cameras (newer generations)
    example:
    The Canon Eos 6D II and Eos RP do use a similar sensor(design) but in the RP it's the DIGIC 8 and DIGIC 7 for the 6D II
    And also the 5D IV and R use also a similar sensor(design),but the R uses the DIGIC 8 and the 5D IV a DIGIC 6+
    And perhaps the cameras internal software has better algorithms to improve quality and better lens corrections

Edit:
    the R3, R5, R6, R6 II, R7 and R8 al have the Digic X processor (the latest iteration digic processor at the moment as fas as i know)

• Members 1568 posts
    Dec. 5, 2023, 2:35 p.m.

David and Photobygms,

Thank you for your comments concerning the latest full frame cameras with the DIGIC Image Processors. This early morning I had to test the Canon RP camera out again. It was still dark and raining. I only had a street lamp and porch light on. I took a picture of the street using F4, 1/13th of a second, 24mm FL and ISO40000. I first tried taking it with the LCD screen but the image was a little soft. So I then switched to using the viewfinder (which helped keep the camera/lens more steady) and nailed it. The image was sharp...just beautiful...wow...just great. This of course was pushing it to the extreme, so I know with more light the photos would turn out even better. I'm looking forward to sharing with you all images from it in the next few days. Today, the weather forecasters are talking about some flooding where I live, so I may have to wait some. Or if the rain isn't too bad, it's a good time to test the camera more (with an umbrella of course even though there is some weatherproofing with this model).

• Members 1568 posts
    Dec. 5, 2023, 11:13 p.m.

Subject: Size Comparison

It's still raining where I live, so I thought I would show a size comparison of three of the cameras I now own with the various lenses. These are cameras that I first started upgrading about 4-1/2 years ago.

From left to right:

Canon T7i (800D) with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm lens (DSLR)
    Canon RP with the Canon RF 24-105mm F4-7.1 lens (R series)
    Canon M50 Mark II with the Canon EF-M 55-200mm lens (M series) If you saw the Canon EF-M 15-45mm lens that I used to take this picture, you would probably find it "tiny" as I did.

As you can see, the advantages of the M series appears to be the smaller size of the lens. I have not explored all possibilities, but from my observation of what I have, that is the case. All three of them have viewfinders. The Canon RP EVF viewfinder is much much better than what I have on the Canon M50 Mark II, even though I set the brightness to that to the maximum level in the menu.
    ResizedComparison.jpg
    Model - Canon EOS M50m2
    ExposureTime - 1/15 seconds
    FNumber - 6.30
    ISOSpeedRatings - 2000
    ExposureBiasValue - -0.67
    FocalLength - 45 mm
    Lens Model - EF-M15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM

I started upgrading to mirrorless a while back, to get experience with a new system. I'm glad I did, because when I received the Canon RP all the things I learned previously with the mirrorless Canon M50 Mark II made this transition easy. I found out that the batteries for the Canon RP camera are the same as the Canon T7i (800D) camera, so I already have at least one extra battery that I can use for that.

So which one of them will I use? One Canon T7i (800D) camera has the Tamron 150-600mm lens. The M series cameras will be used in reasonably good lighting when I want an ultra light system to carry. The Canon RP will be used in low light situations and possibly more in all sorts of circumstances. This is too new for me to really know. The other cameras will be used also (if for not any good reason) just because I like playing with many different toys. πŸ˜€ All of them are fine quality Canon products (including a nice Tamron lens).

Please share with us your camera/lens comparison too. As technology changes we grow with it, not because we want to keep buying gear, but because it's a matter of keeping up with the better things that are available. This allows us the ability to capture more things.

ResizedComparison.jpg

JPG, 259.3Β KB, uploaded by Digirame on Dec. 5, 2023.

• Members 677 posts
    Dec. 6, 2023, 12:26 a.m.

Sunset12-05-23

IMG_8250_edited.jpeg

Steve Thomas

IMG_8250_edited.jpeg

JPG, 291.3Β KB, uploaded by stevet1 on Dec. 6, 2023.

• Members 1568 posts
    Dec. 6, 2023, 1:40 a.m.

Steve,

I like the reddish color we see in the field and the dark background. The fence really makes this a nice photo.

• Members 677 posts
    Dec. 6, 2023, 2:02 a.m.

Dig,

I was just reading last night that a bright foreground immediately draws the viewer's gaze there and then their gaze starts to lift up to the darker background.

I hadn't intended to do that on purpose, but I think this picture illustrates that concept. That fence really makes the picture, doesn't it?

Steve Thomas

• Members 1568 posts
    Dec. 6, 2023, 5:48 a.m.

Steve,

Yes, the fence does give this photo character. It's good composition.

• Members 1568 posts
    Dec. 6, 2023, 5:55 a.m.

Subject: Some Sample Canon RP Photos

Hi all,

I managed to get out this evening during a rainstorm to find some opportunities to get some sample photos from the Canon RP. I was amazed at the results. I hope you all are too.

Photo No. 1 - People were dancing inside. See the sign "dance your boots off here".
    ResizedDPR15.jpg
    Model - Canon EOS RP
    ExposureTime - 1/60 seconds
    FNumber - 7.10
    ISOSpeedRatings - 40000
    ExposureBiasValue - 0
    FocalLength - 90 mm
    Lens Model - RF24-105mm F4-7.1 IS STM

Photo No. 2 - Empty walkway....
    ResizedDPR16.jpg
    Model - Canon EOS RP
    FNumber - 4
    ISOSpeedRatings - 2500
    ExposureBiasValue - 0
    FocalLength - 27 mm

Photo No. 3 - Christmas train set....
    ResizedDPR17.jpg
    Model - Canon EOS RP
    FNumber - 4
    ISOSpeedRatings - 5000
    ExposureBiasValue - 0
    FocalLength - 24 mm

Photo No. 4 - An alley between some buildings....
    ResizedDPR18.jpg
    Model - Canon EOS RP
    FNumber - 4
    ISOSpeedRatings - 10000
    ExposureBiasValue - 0
    FocalLength - 24 mm

ResizedDPR17.jpg

JPG, 230.9Β KB, uploaded by Digirame on Dec. 6, 2023.

ResizedDPR18.jpg

JPG, 173.5Β KB, uploaded by Digirame on Dec. 6, 2023.

ResizedDPR16.jpg

JPG, 218.7Β KB, uploaded by Digirame on Dec. 6, 2023.

ResizedDPR15.jpg

JPG, 266.6Β KB, uploaded by Digirame on Dec. 6, 2023.

• Foundation 1400 posts
    Dec. 6, 2023, 7:12 a.m.

Try the night scene setting for such photos. I believe it takes htree shots and combines them.

David

• Foundation 1400 posts
    Dec. 6, 2023, 7:15 a.m.

Digi,

I suggest you use the RP exclusively, with all the lenses that fit (do you have an EF adapter) until you have the measure of it and the position of the controls and menus.

Best,

David