• Foundation 1403 posts
    Dec. 6, 2023, 7:19 a.m.

These are all excellent. I can almost smell the trash cans! 😀 😣😉 😈

David

• Members 1572 posts
    Dec. 6, 2023, 2:30 p.m.

David,

Thanks. I'll try night time settings. Using a full frame camera is so much fun. I've been able to understand this quickly because of my experience with my M series mirrorless cameras. But I'm sure there's lots more to learn.

• Members 1572 posts
    Dec. 6, 2023, 2:45 p.m.

David,

In time, since my experience with the Canon RP has been so positive, I may get another full frame camera and use them exclusively. I'll do this slowly, but it could be all within a year. I'll play it by ear. I don't have an adapter yet. I believe they cost less than $200 (USD). I'd like to compare images between my crop sensor cameras and full frame camera. In good lighting the crop sensor cameras may be adequate. At least that's what I hear from people on Dpreview, when discussing cameras like the Canon R7 and Canon R8. But a person sometimes has to take all of that with a grain of salt and make their own comparisons. At the moment (from what I understand), I cannot use the Tamron 150-600mm lens on the R series cameras even with an adaptor if a person wants to use autofocus.

By doing this slowly, I believe I'll make better decisions and have fun while it's happening. Thanks for all of your encouragement and advice.

• Members 1572 posts
    Dec. 6, 2023, 2:51 p.m.

David,

Thanks for your comments about the four sample Canon RP images I posted. I'm astonished how well that ISO40000 image turned out. This is opening up a whole new door for me. I'm glad I got the Canon RP now and did not wait. I get lots of night-time photo opportunities around Christmas.

• Members 562 posts
    Dec. 6, 2023, 3:14 p.m.

That might not be completely the truth, as far as I know/understand is that some third party lenses have some issues with the Servo AF setting. One shot or AI focus should work with out issues.
    There might be an updated firmware for some lenses to ensure compatibility with the Eos R series:

www.tamron.com/global/consumer/support/download/firmware/a011/canon_ef/

• Members 1572 posts
    Dec. 6, 2023, 3:54 p.m.

Photobygms,

Thanks for the information about the Tamron 150-600mm lens firmware. Two times I have updated the firmware on two cameras, and both times I did not "brick" them. It made me nervous, because if there was a power failure precisely at that moment the camera would have been "toast". OK...I'll first have to get an adapter, then maybe later I will take a chance to updating the firmware on my Tamron lens.

I don't like to change lenses; something I've been doing for years. So that's why I would buy at least another FF body, if I wanted to go that route. I have the cameras and lenses all connected in my side bags and I pull out the combination that I want. This works great particularly at people events.

You should hear them on Dpreview talking about how some of them apparently prefer the Canon R7 over the Canon R8 for wildlife photos (with their super telephoto lenses). They may have a point, considering the 1.6 crop factor. Again, that's why I take things slowly...listening to everyone's opinions. I enjoy this as a hobby, so it's not something I have to do right away. Plus I like to keep things within budget.

Did you hear that Canon is releasing a new Canon RF 200-800mm lens this month for less than $2000 (USD)? Ah, more money to spend. 😀 Again, thanks for your help. 😀

• Foundation 1403 posts
    Dec. 6, 2023, 4:24 p.m.

I think you meant to reply to Photobygms! 😀

This fear is exaggerated: if the battery is in good condition and fully charged there is no need to use mains power.

Not just there, also on this site. I can see that the 1.6 crop factor is very useful for extending the range of a telephoto lens. Similarly, despite my Leica having a 60 Mp sensor, I can get higher macro enlargement with my Canon using the 85mm lens.

Well, I just blew my budget for this year, so I dont really want to know -- yet!

Best,

David

• Members 1572 posts
    Dec. 6, 2023, 4:36 p.m.

David,

Thanks again. I edited my message...you were right...I meant Photobygms.

• Members 1572 posts
    Dec. 6, 2023, 4:41 p.m.

Photobygms,

I made a mistake and was thinking that you were David (and then corrected it). 😀 So some of my comments were made by me...I was thinking that way...sorry about that. But there's at least some good things there for all of us.... 😀

David,

Again, thanks for catching my error. 😀

• Members 562 posts
    Dec. 6, 2023, 4:56 p.m.

@Digirame no problem 😂

Back on topic:
    The 200-800 has crossed my mind as a replacement for the broken 150-600, but that would limit our tele options on the analog Eos bodies (EF mount)
    But the 200-800 is a pre-order only lens at the moment and still not widely available soon.
    So the 60-600s is the replacement and that one is fully compatible with R series cameras when using the EF-RF mount adapter.
    Just have tried it, the 60-600 has arrived today.😇
    I hope to test the lens soon on all our bodies hopefully during the weekend, still have to work 😒

• Members 1572 posts
    Dec. 6, 2023, 5:34 p.m.

Photobygms,

Congratulations getting your new super telephoto lens. I hope the weather is good for you, so you can keep testing it with all of your cameras.

Maybe by next year, the Canon RF 200-800mm lens will drop in price a little, making it more affordable. Typically, the gear costs more when they are first introduced. Using that with a body such as the Canon R7 with a 1.6 crop factor, could get some really good results. That all is beyond my budget right now, but it's fun thinking about it. 😀

• Members 878 posts
    Dec. 6, 2023, 11:32 p.m.

[deleted]

• Members 1572 posts
    Dec. 7, 2023, 12:53 a.m.

JACS,

That's a nice photo of the beach. The waves are calm. We see the person using the most popular type of camera, which is the cell phone.

• Members 677 posts
    Dec. 7, 2023, 2:33 a.m.

Damn, if tonight wasn't a repeat of last night.

Looking east with the sun at my back:

12-06-23(1).jpg

Just some shots off to the west:

12-06-23(2).jpg

12-06-23(3).jpg

12-06-23(4).jpg

12-06-23(5).jpg

Mr. Horse, of Course

12-06-23(6).jpg

Steve Thomas

12-06-23(6).jpg

JPG, 82.5 KB, uploaded by stevet1 on Dec. 7, 2023.

12-06-23(5).jpg

JPG, 70.4 KB, uploaded by stevet1 on Dec. 7, 2023.

12-06-23(4).jpg

JPG, 60.8 KB, uploaded by stevet1 on Dec. 7, 2023.

12-06-23(3).jpg

JPG, 94.8 KB, uploaded by stevet1 on Dec. 7, 2023.

12-06-23(2).jpg

JPG, 95.5 KB, uploaded by stevet1 on Dec. 7, 2023.

12-06-23(1).jpg

JPG, 89.8 KB, uploaded by stevet1 on Dec. 7, 2023.

• Members 1572 posts
    Dec. 7, 2023, 2:41 a.m.

Steve,

Wow...cool...I'm glad you had a great sunset. I'm "jealous" you had good weather. We are still having rain in Oregon, but we need the moisture more than I need to go out and take pictures. 😀

• Members 643 posts
    Dec. 7, 2023, 6:37 p.m.

Beautiful sunset Steve. Rainy day here too.

• Foundation 1403 posts
    Dec. 7, 2023, 8:29 p.m.

I hope you dont mind me "cheating" again -- I wanted to see how good my new camera is in the dark! In order to avoid the lights being over-exposed, I under exposed by 1.67EV and then brought up the dark areas. Please enlarge for best effect.

David

L1010134_DxO-1d.jpg

L1010134_DxO-1d.jpg

JPG, 3.6 MB, uploaded by davidwien on Dec. 7, 2023.

• Members 643 posts
    Dec. 7, 2023, 8:47 p.m.

That's an amazing end photo David. Looks nearly perfect (in terms of noise) to me.