• Members 10 posts
    April 6, 2023, 12:17 a.m.

I am very new to Fuji, got a X-S10 about 3 years ago. Before that I had mostly M43 cameras but it seemed back then that the writing was on the wall for M43 (Olympus selling their camera business). I do like light weigth cameras (and lenses) so Fuji seemed like the best bet, and I belive it was. The X-S10 is great but just wish it had a better EVF.

Much of my work with cameras is on an engineering/scientific basis (photogrammetry), but I do like photography as a hobby. One of the current projects I am involved in now is tracking whales. We normally use theodolites, but I am testing out cameras for the job. I then got the X-H2 and it is great or this kind of work.

cheers
    Eric

• Members 164 posts
    April 6, 2023, 9:34 a.m.

It would be really nice to see a better EVF on the XS20 (expected in May) - they’ve been using the same small finder on all the entry/mid level cameras for years and its pretty poor I think.

• Members 164 posts
    April 6, 2023, 9:38 a.m.

The dials are definitely a big part of it for me, initially with the XE1 but then the X-Pro1 was my real homecoming, bringing me right back to the feel of the older mechanical and manual film cameras I’d grown up with. The XT bodies are great for that too.

• Members 86 posts
    April 6, 2023, 10:41 a.m.

I got into photography around 2015 and bought an X-T20 in 2017. I had been shooting a Nikon D7200, but was convinced of the Fuji offerings after a friend had bought the X-T10. I used the X-T20 extensively for the next 2 years - it was always in my bag. More lenses were acquired and in 2019 the X-T3, which is still enough for all my personal needs and for the occasional work related photoshoots. My X-T20 is still in use, though mostly for trail running and when I need a backup camera. I also found a used X-T1, which I mostly use for adapting vintage lenses.

• Members 5 posts
    April 7, 2023, 3:10 a.m.

My first Fuji camera was a X100f bought in 2019. It was to replace a Nikon Coolpix A as a grab and go camera.. I have been using Nikons since1978. My first Nikon was a F2AS and subsequently the F3hp, F4s and F5. With digital, I had a Nikon D1H, D2H, D2X, D700 & D810. I have fast primes and fast zooms. It got to a point I needed to refresh my equipment. I did look at the Z6 and Z7 but then I looked at the pricing of the Z lenses. I have gotten tired of lugging around DSLRs and fast zooms. Even with a fast prime attached to my D810 without battery pack, I found the camera package to large. I then looked at the Fuji offerings in 2020.. Because the change in my shooting, I did not feel the need for fast zooms. The XPro3 and the the f/2 lenses was a great fit. I eventually got the XE4 in 2022 for a smaller package. The 27/2.8 essentially stays glued on it. The fast new primes (18, 23, 33 & 56) appealed to me and used on my XPro3. The XE4 is my small grab & go camera with the f/2 lenses on it. The XPro3 is used for planned and deliberate shooting with the larger f/1.4 or f/1.2 lenses on it. I still have my Nikon equipment but it has gone unused since getting the Fuji equipment. That said, I will still use the Nikon Coolpix A if an ultra small camera is needed for casual shooting.

This is my first post on this new forum.

• Members 29 posts
    April 7, 2023, 6:43 a.m.

My journey into Fuji began with the theft of my Canon gear. I had a 7D, 17-55mm, 70-200mm, 50mm, and flash stolen. Renters insurance covered a majority of it. I had already started to notice these retro styled Fuji cameras coming out. The X-E1 really caught my attention, but I wasn't sure about the rangefinder style (and I remember some reviews talking about focus being an issue back then).

Then the X-T1 came out, and I was sold (and timing corresponding somewhat to Canon gear being stolen). The X-T1 reminded me so much of my Canon AE-1 I started my photography journey with. Everyone kept talking about the colors and reduced need for RAW editing. I jumped in with the X-T1 and 56mm (or maybe it was the 35mm 1.4). I sold off my remaining Canon gear. In some order I have had, or have, the 56 mk1, 35 f/1.4, 18-55, 16-55, 50-140, 100-400, 23mk1, 18 f/1.4, 70-300, and Viltrox 75. I have had one or two of each of the X-Tx bodies. Really liked the improvement the X-T2 felt like over the X-T1. I'm probably one of the few that was not impressed with the X-T3. Sold it before the big firmware update, and the the smaller battery still bugged me at the time. The X-T4 felt like such a big improvement in design clarity and refinement. So many little things that added up to more than the sum of its parts. Loved the separation of the video/stills. I could ignore what I had little to no interest in! I'm also a stills photographer who prefers the screen from the X-T4. The buttons felt better, the shutter was more refined, etc. Currently, I have two X-T5's. The more I use them, the more I like the improvements- minus the stupid inability to separate the tethering of image parameters (HEIF/JPEG recipes) to the shooting parameters in the custom slots.

I did sort of burn myself a couple of times with my Fuji journey. If I had known how soon the X-T4 would be out after the X-T3, I would have never bought an X-T3. Similar situation for the X-T5. I had an X-H2 briefly, not thinking the X-T5 would be out so soon after. What will the next chapter(s) bring? Only GAS knows.
    😉 😀

• Members 19 posts
    April 7, 2023, 2:06 p.m.

X-T1 - Purchased 10-2014 I still own it.
    X-T2 - Purchased 01-2018 Sold 09-2018
    X-T3 - Purchased 09-2018 Sold 11-2022
    X-H2 - Purchased 11-2022

XPRO1 - Purchased 12-2015 I Still own it.

X100F - Purchased 4-2017 Sold 3-2020
    X100V - Purchased 2-2020 I still own it.
    X1006 - Will pre-order on announcement

• Members 535 posts
    April 7, 2023, 2:39 p.m.

This thread deserves a narrative reply, but for the moment a simple list will have to suffice.

Leica Digilux (A leather-clad version of the Fujifilm FinePix 700)
    FinePix S2 Pro
    X100V
    X-S10

All of these cameras are still in my possession. The "Leica" probably needs a battery and unfortunately, I think I may have "tech-cycled" the charger/wall wart during a COVID clean-sweep.

• Members 1521 posts
    April 7, 2023, 2:48 p.m.

This a small photo for those who do not know it 🙂

Fujifilm FinePix MX-700 (1998) : Leica digilux (1998).jpg

Fujifilm FinePix MX-700 (1998) : Leica digilux (1998).jpg

JPG, 426.1 KB, uploaded by Maoby on April 7, 2023.

• Members 21 posts
    April 7, 2023, 2:49 p.m.

I admit I did get spoiled with the great grip on my bridge camera - but I have since purchased a hand grip for my XT3 and problem solved!

• Members 535 posts
    April 7, 2023, 4:17 p.m.

Here's one of mine…

IMG_1310.jpeg

IMG_1310.jpeg

JPG, 376.1 KB, uploaded by jaberg on April 7, 2023.

• Members 621 posts
    April 7, 2023, 4:25 p.m.

My first Fuji was the Fujica AZ1 35mm camera with their 43-75 zoom. Then, after many years, I picked up the X10 and was hooked. Then came the X-Pro1, XT1 and the GFX 50r. I miss the X10 as I sold it years ago.

• Members 30 posts
    April 7, 2023, 5:28 p.m.

My first Fujis were the Fuji GS645S and the GW690 III medium format cameras... I bought them in the 90s. My next Fuji was the original X100. I bought it on the first day. Before that I was using a Leica M8 and Leica X1. The X1 was cool, but I knew having the VF in the X100 was a game changer. I still used Leica even upgrading to the M9. However, once the X-Pro1 was available (again on day 1 I bought it), I really didn't use the M9 much and sold it while I could get most of my cash back. However, the original Fujis just did not have the best AF. Therefore I also used a Sony A7R and a Nikon Df periodically until the X-Pro2 came out. Since then, I have been using Fuji cameras mostly. I use a Ricoh GR3x and absolutely love it though and I use a Leica M240, but I am not so hot on that anymore. Waiting patiently for the X-Pro4 to be honest. I kind of know I'm a Fuji guy these days.

• Members 2 posts
    April 7, 2023, 5:44 p.m.

Been mostly film photographer, I had Instax wide (2014), and then, when I temporarily lost my darkroom to renovation, X100F and X-E3 (2019) and then X-T4 (2023).

• Members 1 post
    April 8, 2023, 2:27 a.m.

My first Fuji was/is the X-E1 which I acquired in 2014. I had previously owned digital and film point and shoots. All which I managed to destroy even though a lot of them were "rugged". At the time I was traveling internationally a lot for work and in 2013 I realized that I was taking some photographs I really liked on my Blackberry or iPhone 4. I grew up around photography and several women of my past were into photography. So I already had a good concept of the triangle. After doing some research Fuji and their dials and more manual system not to mention their compact size had my sold. The X-E1 has really served me well. Some of my favorite photos on my walls are from that camera, which I still own and carry. The build quality and IQ of the XE1 is really great IMHO. I have since upgraded a couple of times, and while it doesn't get used much it can often be found either in my work backpack or truck.

• Members 1 post
    April 8, 2023, 11:34 a.m.

My first Fuji X system camera was a X-E2s with 18-55 kit lens. That was sold at some point and was followed up by a X-T20 which I used quite a while but found it too small for my hands. I now have a X-T2 that I just acquired second hand about 2 weeks ago and love it! I don't need the higher resolution nor the better film capabilities of the newer X-T cameras. Currently I only own the XF18-55 kit lens but will also get me a XF55-200 for the longer end and probably also one or two primes.

• Members 27 posts
    April 8, 2023, 2:23 p.m.

Before going to the Westminster dog show in 2014 I ended up getting a used X100; with a 21### serial number to avoid sticky aperture blades. It was my first big-boy digital camera after a the very nice Canon S90, S100, and Fuji XF1. In fact, it was the XF1 which made me want the X100.

• Members 3 posts
    April 8, 2023, 3:29 p.m.

Alright. Here is my story and my first post on this new forum. Really hope it takes off.

I used a Canon DSLR for a long time but sought something smaller and more compact. So I switched to M43 for good couple of years. But I never really liked using either Olympus nor Panasonic cameras from a haptic point of view. I also disliked raw processing at the time (being a linux user back then). So I lost interest in photography in general and sold off my gear. But the photography itch came back and I took a closer look at Fuji. I was always somewhat intrigued but the somewhat larger size, the lens prices and back then non-availability of third party lenses threw me off.

Still in 2017 I got myself a used X100T and totally fell in love with it. The DR, noise, colors was way better than what I had seen with my M43 gear. So I used the heck out of this camera for a year and went straight for the X100F because I do 75% b/w and I wanted to have Acros. Again I used this camera so much and I experimented with different jpeg recipes. It was a great period. But the 23mm fixed lens became somewhat limiting and I wanted a "proper" camera so I bought a used X-T3 to play around with old and new manual lenses. I experimented a lot and kind of found my style. At that point I also acquired a X70 which got more use than the X-T3 because of it's compact nature. Having two cameras, two different chargers and no longer interested in vintage or manual glass I decided to sell both for an X-E4. I just wanted something compact that works well to capture what I had in mind. But the X-E4 was still too big for a pocket so I eventually went astray and got a GRIII which is very much love and use. I replaced the XE-4 with an X-S10 because I became to rely on IBIS more often (something I sorely missed from my M43 days). Now I am quite happy with my setup...the X-E4 a 16mm, a Sigma 30mm and soon the Sigma 18-55 for everyday use and my GRIII for whenever I can't carry my Fuji camera.

But the X100T sparked it all. I loved the handling and haptics. Something that neither the X-E4 nor X-S10 could replicate, not even the X-T3 felt just that good in my hand. If money were no object I would just buy an X100V for sheer enjoyment. I even thought about getting a used X100T again but prices for all X100 series cameras are quite insane right now.

Also shamelessly plugging my website where I wrote about the X100T a while ago: emptysnaps.com/my-life-in-camera-part-11-fujifilm-x100t/
    Funnily enough in this series on my blog I linked to the dpreview database for my cameras thinking that at least dpreview.com won't go away. Ah well.