• Members 1737 posts
    May 5, 2023, 8:33 p.m.

Assertions are not necessarily facts. In this case, for that to be true, the a7IV would have to be dramatically different from the a7, a7II, a7III, a7R, a7RII, a7RIII, a7RIV, a9, a9II, a7S, and a7SII, all of which I have tested.

• Removed user
    May 5, 2023, 8:40 p.m.

Yes, most of the Sigma/Foveon non-Quattro cameras were thus, including my beloved SD9.

Much of the exposure hot air over on DPR was generated by those who were unable to cope with being able to clip "raw" data at any ISO ... as opposed to the higher the ISO, the more the raw data headroom., giving rise to the common "I always set ISO to 200".

Sigma experimented with an AFE in the DP2x and the SD15 and finally included one in all Quattro models. I guess that one AFE chip puts out less heat than three ADC chips.

Waiter: "more noise in your image, Sir?"

• May 5, 2023, 8:44 p.m.

Not until you spell my name right 😁😁😁

I think the subject is still 'open' at the moment. Let's see how it develops.

Alan

• Members 457 posts
    May 5, 2023, 8:46 p.m.

Once a camera moves into someone’s reality bubble it start behaving differently 😁.

• Members 260 posts
    May 5, 2023, 8:49 p.m.

I am not looking at anything - I am simply stating that camera's with dual gain sensors are NOT invariant - that was the whole point of what Aptina did - to break the mold and gain in S/N ...

they might be perfectly invariant in some range of nominal ISO values and thus you can call them partially invariant - no issues w/ that...

• Removed user
    May 5, 2023, 8:58 p.m.

Oops ... apologies !!

Looks like the "a74" proponent is taking a break ...

• May 5, 2023, 9:12 p.m.

Hasn't worked out that eccentric spelling is a sure telltale of denied former accounts.

• Members 976 posts
    May 5, 2023, 9:20 p.m.

"HLG Mode as a hack for perfect Raw exposure", www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-a7r-mark-iii-review/4
    For the record, based on my tests I disagree.

• Removed user
    May 5, 2023, 9:31 p.m.

Agreed. Never owned or tried a Sony, so my question was a bit tongue-in-cheek.

At least I now know that an "a74" is actually an Ξ±7 IV aka a Sony ILCE7M4.

• Members 2287 posts
    May 5, 2023, 9:46 p.m.

thats what your not understanding. the camera shows extremally fine line clipping and so does fastraw its an identical match . you can take the raw into ACR and also fast raw and can not recover the blown high lights. ARE WE CLEAR NOW . you obviously dont play with your cameras much to draw your own conclusions.

• Members 2287 posts
    May 5, 2023, 9:57 p.m.

Thats very poor on canons behalf .as i said live zebras finely tuned are un beatable for perfect "exposure evaluation" raw digger is not an exposure evaluation tool. in fact its useless in the field.

• Members 976 posts
    May 5, 2023, 9:59 p.m.

You realize the meaning of the word "perfect", right?

• Members 2287 posts
    May 5, 2023, 10:11 p.m.

A1 a74 a7r5 use the latest processors. not sure about the a7s3

• Members 2287 posts
    May 5, 2023, 10:16 p.m.

i always remember sitting for a 4 hour celestial navigation exam and walking out in 90 mins. the next week i got my results 99% the teacher said i got 100% but no one is perfect.

• Members 2287 posts
    May 5, 2023, 10:21 p.m.

Does it matter ? that would be like saying an analogue multimeter is better than a digital because its measuring the raw voltage.

• Members 304 posts
    May 5, 2023, 10:46 p.m.

Once one enters the quantum world - our concept of continuum is no longer completely accurate. Both photons and electrons are particles and while exposure in lux-seconds can be viewed as the energy of the incident wave - its statistics are a quantized version of that in that the number of photons incident. Such processes are described statistically as a Poisson process which describes the arrival of objects, be in cars at an intersection, rain in a rain gauge or photons on a photodetector. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_noise

• Members 1737 posts
    May 5, 2023, 10:54 p.m.

Yes. the correct equations are:

image.png

image.png

image.png

PNG, 15.5Β KB, uploaded by JimKasson on May 5, 2023.

image.png

PNG, 9.1Β KB, uploaded by JimKasson on May 5, 2023.

• Members 976 posts
    May 5, 2023, 10:58 p.m.

How imperfect is the method you are using?