• Members 173 posts
    April 14, 2023, 9:49 p.m.

Hmm, what exactly are 'the rules' for qualifying as an artist then? ... and who exactly approved them? 😜

I would suggest that if you can produce photos/images that other people are willing to pay for that qualifies you as an artist. All the same design principles that apply to other forms of art also apply to photos/images.

I'm having flashbacks to the arguments we had in art school over whether or not Andy Warhol was a 'true' artist.

• Members 976 posts
    April 14, 2023, 9:54 p.m.

I didn't say that, sorry.

Headroom at ISO 100 will appear if the exposure (light, aperture, shutter speed) are the same as you used at ISO 320.

• Members 2288 posts
    April 14, 2023, 9:59 p.m.

I totally understand that, but im shooting live with multiple 24 inch monitors to a crowd and clients and need the images to be as close as posable to being perfectly exposed. but thanks for the other info setting that "0" is middle grey is all i needed to know
    cheers Don

• Members 976 posts
    April 14, 2023, 10:04 p.m.

If it is applicable, ISO 100 gives a better chance for a good exposure as it tolerates more light resulting in better resolution and cleaner shadows.

• Members 2288 posts
    April 14, 2023, 10:12 p.m.

understand. because of such adverse conditions where i live i try to not push (overheat)my strobes and keep the iso a little elevated and i need to drop the iso down for head shots as i move the subject closer to my main light . i do not change any lighting positions or adjust settings for my strobes as they are set for up to 5 different lighting set ups and i have to move fast as i can shoot up to 1000 portraits in a day with 5 different lighting changers per dancer . sound complicated ,it is but very streamlined.

• Members 1737 posts
    April 14, 2023, 10:29 p.m.

Then it was both of us.

• Members 1737 posts
    April 14, 2023, 10:46 p.m.

First off, I didn't say your image could get a 3 stop push. I said that the EV0 marking on the RD x-axis is three stops down from clipping. The question you asked was what the EV0 meant.

Second, that image is very interesting. When a linear histogram is used, it looks like there is a lot of headroom except for that bright band across the bottom.

dancer linear.png

But when you use the logarithmic y-axis, you ca see there is a lot of detail at high x-axis values.

dancer log.png

So it's not underexposed for the ISO used. You want that detail. But in an absolute sense, if you'd shot at ISO 100 and given it 3.2x more light, you'd have been better off from a noise perspective.

The brightest thing in the image is her underwear. Is that what you wanted?

dancer log.png

PNG, 3.5 MB, uploaded by JimKasson on April 14, 2023.

dancer linear.png

PNG, 3.2 MB, uploaded by JimKasson on April 14, 2023.

• Members 2288 posts
    April 15, 2023, 4:14 a.m.

The fact is i kept asking what is EV"0" in the histogram, i kept posting histograms even closeup captures. not one person even explained that EV 0 in raw digger is variable it is not fixed, you can make it what you want. it also has nothing to do with highlight clipping as it is based on mid tones. so my original question still remains. Raw histogram and why does it matter thanks to Illah i have made my own conclusions. even if i cant see one it was a good exercise as when ever camera histograms, accurate exposure ect discussions came up Raw Digger was always brought up and camera histograms frond upon.

• Members 2288 posts
    April 15, 2023, 4:26 a.m.

your quote: I said that the EV0 marking on the RD x-axis is three stops down from clipping"🤨 clipping what ?🙄 AS Iliah said EV0 is a variable (user set) MID TONE value. who cares if mid tones are a hypothetical 3 stops from over exposure. (clipping). 99% of everyone worries about highlights not mid tones clipping.

• Members 3353 posts
    April 15, 2023, 4:33 a.m.

Could it be because the answer to your question is in the actual manual, as Iliah Borg pointed out to you, or even in the online user guide?

www.rawdigger.com/usermanual/histograms

"Auto: automatic calculation of grid zero (gray point position) and setting grid step to 1EV. The zero is located at the level that is 3 stops (8 times) lower than the maximum pixel value rounded up (ceiling) to the nearest power of 2. For example, if the maximum value of all pixels in the photo is 3000, then the nearest power of two greater than this value is 4096 and the EV0 value for this photo will be automatically set to level 512."

This is effectively what JimKasson posted even before Iliah Borg's post.

• Members 1737 posts
    April 15, 2023, 4:33 a.m.

You still don’t get it. EV0 is three stops down from the maximum signal level. If we define the maximum signal level as 100%, EV0 is 12.5%. EV0 is not a variable once the raw file is captured. You can decide how much light gets mapped to EV0 by the way you set the camera up before the exposure.

• Members 1737 posts
    April 15, 2023, 4:39 a.m.

In the histogram I posted, EV0 is three stops down from 16000, which is about the clipping point for your camera.

• Members 2288 posts
    April 15, 2023, 4:40 a.m.

trust me i totally get it. i dont think you do (shake head.)
    Iliah quote: EV0 isn't the highlights, it's midtone in raw. It is the supposed sensor midtone calibration, 12.7% of the full exposure. Full exposure is 100%, or, in this case, +3EV.

• Members 3353 posts
    April 15, 2023, 4:52 a.m.

JimKasson never said it was the highlights. Jim's answer is the same as what is in the manual and the answer Iliah Borg posted.

Iliah Borg himself posted that JimKasson gave you the correct answer.

dprevived.com/t/the-beginners-questions-area/1706/post/16351/

• Members 2288 posts
    April 15, 2023, 5:01 a.m.

there answer was not correct as they avoided quoting critical information to my questions. If that was your answer in a university science exam it would be a fail , trust me my daughter will tell you 😁

• Members 2288 posts
    April 15, 2023, 5:05 a.m.

please stop miss quoting me, your creating deliberate confusion, you have been warned before.

you have cherry picked from my post.

Iliah quote: EV0 isn't the highlights, it's midtone in raw. It is the supposed sensor midtone calibration, 12.7% of the full exposure. Full exposure is 100%, or, in this case, +3EV."

• Members 3353 posts
    April 15, 2023, 5:05 a.m.

You can argue that with Jim and Iliah. Jim's answer was clear to me. If it wasn't to you then that doesn't make his answer incorrect.

Iliah Borg posted JimKasson's answer was correct. You just didn't understand it is the way I see it.

dprevived.com/t/the-beginners-questions-area/1706/post/16351/

• Members 3353 posts
    April 15, 2023, 5:06 a.m.

Do you mean like you misquoted me on 2 previous occasions on these forum?

The full sentence you posted is

So what? JimKasson's answer was correct even with your full sentence.

It seems to me that when anyone posts a correct answer to your questions and you don't understand the answers that you then label them as incorrect.

That's up to you but it says more about your apparent lack of understanding of answers than it does about those trying to help you.