It's not apparent from photos but the finish section was quite steep uphill, I'd say about 10% ascent for last 100 meters, so if one had any strength left then that was the place to put all out.
It's not apparent from photos but the finish section was quite steep uphill, I'd say about 10% ascent for last 100 meters, so if one had any strength left then that was the place to put all out.
Rainforest
I'm taking a week's holiday on the west coast of Scotland, with no wi-fi and a weak phone signal, so hope I can keep up!
Zoom in and you can make out the nest - a huge platform of branches - with a big bird sitting on it. I looked it up when I got the chance, and apparently the 'chicks' just fledged a couple of days ago (started flying around.)
Great set. I very much like this zoomed in shot, great scenery with nice background and wildlife as cherry on top of everything. Also these forest shots are great, I love such gnarly and moss-covered trees.
Chicago was fun to visit. I have not been able to do much weeding-out and processing (too busy with work). But, here's one I quickly fiddled with. Another picture of a building. There are many more. It's Chicago! The 14-24 is nice to have in these instances.
I feel strain in my neck when looking at this image...
Rainforest
I'm taking a week's holiday on the west coast of Scotland, with no wi-fi and a weak phone signal, so hope I can keep up!
On the journey we stopped briefly at the side of Loch Sunart and strolled down to a wildlife hide above the water. Another visitor, just leaving, armed with telescope claimed he had seen a White Tailed Eagle sitting in a tree. Lo and behold, when I looked with the aid of the trusty old Oly plastic fantastic, there was not only an eagle in the tree, but an actual nest! And two huge eagles! ... very far away 😉
Zoom in and you can make out the nest - a huge platform of branches - with a big bird sitting on it. I looked it up when I got the chance, and apparently the 'chicks' just fledged a couple of days ago (started flying around.)
The Ardnamurchan peninsula has some of the best remnants of rare Celtic Rainforest, so we spent this morning exploring some beautiful oak and birch woodland - in the rain 😁
How cool! I can see them. The damp is dripping out of these pictures.
Chicago was fun to visit. I have not been able to do much weeding-out and processing (too busy with work). But, here's one I quickly fiddled with. Another picture of a building. There are many more. It's Chicago! The 14-24 is nice to have in these instances.
I went to Chicago many, many years ago as a punk. I loved it. I hear it's a little more dangerous now. Surprisingly well received. Not so much in other parts of the States. Shame about the shadow on the building but still get a sense of a nice blue sky.
@Wormsmeat has written:A wintery shot of a famous old pub near London Bridge.
Anyone tempted by the new OM System Pen F? I must admit, I did enjoy my previous Olympus computational photography and incredible IBIS which makes taking these sort of hand-held shots a breeze. And it has come on a long way since then. Robin Wong's YouTube review is a good one, I always enjoy his enthusiasm. One of his friends used to be a contributor to this thread back in its heyday. Although the new Pen is pug-ugly compared to the beautiful Pen-F on which it is based. I had two of them and loved them apart from the hugely irritating exposure comp dial on the corner which would drag on my bag as I took the camera out and set itself to +3, every - single - time.
Looks like cinematic scene with its colours.
To me new Pen looks like repackaged into different body OM-5. I had OM-5 and its main issue was that it felt bit too cramped on right side, I had issue with focus point moving accidentally due to navigation pad button press with my palm. And usage with gloves was not good due to small and not very prominent back buttons. OM-3 is bit bigger and the inadvertent button press does not occur very often but small button issue remains. From reviews seems like handling of Pen is similar to OM-5 so it seems step backward from OM-3 and I will wait better offers. My ideal camera would be OM-1/OM-3 innard packaged into smaller body with tilt screen (or tilt and articulated) and back buttons implemented with Hasselblad-style design, leaving more room for handholding and not sacrificing usability. But I'm afraid that with current technology it's not possible, maybe after generation or two the power consumption efficiency and performance will increase enough so that it can be packaged into smaller body.
That's interesting. I do remember some similar problems. Also with the touch screen active I found I would inadvertently move the focus point.
@ChrisOly has written:FEN
Once In a while I visit Oliphant Fen in Bruce County, Ontario. It’s a rare coastal wetland and nature reserve. It has some unique species like orchids and other wildflowers…
These are exquisite Chris. Were they actually taken this week or did you process them this week? I'd have thought it a bit late in the season for such beauties.
Shot in June and pp recently. Thanks for comments.
Rainforest
Very atmospheric .
My fave.
Chicago was fun to visit.
Looking up is always interesting.
HM
This weekend city's traffic is disrupted due to Tallinn Marathon. Today was half-marathon and 10 km day, tomorrow is marathon. I did half, feeling bit tired but it went well and I can consider my 23-week training period successful. Of course I took my om-3 with me and after I got my backback back from storage I snapped some pictures from finish area hustle. SOOC photos.
Half Marathon! Congratulations! Kudos to YOU for the 23 week commitment to training. It paid off. Well done! :-) PS... I just MIGHT be able to make a 1/2 marathon as I sit here right now (well, on second thought, probably not)... even though I do run a little bit on a regular basis. But if I attempted it, I'm guessing this is the group I would probably align with! LOL.
[quote="@cpm"]
Chicago was fun to visit. I have not been able to do much weeding-out and processing (too busy with work). But, here's one I quickly fiddled with. Another picture of a building. There are many more. It's Chicago! The 14-24 is nice to have in these instances.[I went to Chicago many, many years ago as a punk. I loved it. I hear it's a little more dangerous now. Surprisingly well received. Not so much in other parts of the States. Shame about the shadow on the building but still get a sense of a nice blue sky.
Thanks for the comment. Punk... as in mid-70's? Sex Pistols? One of the best concerts I saw as a "kid" (22 years old at the time) was the The Clash opening for the Rolling Stones at the Kingdome in 1981. A reinforced concrete domed stadium (radial concrete ribs, central compression ring, with 40 thin-shell hyperbolic paraboloid concrete segments @ 5 inches thick, spanning 660 feet) filled with 70,000 screaming crazies and loud music. Of course, we were thinking... the roof just MIGHT collapse... with the right resonant frequency. That thought added an "extra dimension" to the concert! As if we needed more dimensions back then. LOL. Under construction, 1974...
Rainforest
I'm taking a week's holiday on the west coast of Scotland, with no wi-fi and a weak phone signal, so hope I can keep up!
On the journey we stopped briefly at the side of Loch Sunart and strolled down to a wildlife hide above the water. Another visitor, just leaving, armed with telescope claimed he had seen a White Tailed Eagle sitting in a tree. Lo and behold, when I looked with the aid of the trusty old Oly plastic fantastic, there was not only an eagle in the tree, but an actual nest! And two huge eagles! ... very far away 😉
Very nice. Excellent IQ. These two pictures remind me of forest areas here nearby (lots of moisture). Yes, I could see the nest. I looked on the map... seems like a very remote and rugged area. It would be GREAT to visit. Have fun! :-)
From Behind the Iron Curtain
Could not resist adding this unusual L. C. Hardtmuth 5640 four colour pencil to my collection. It dates from about 1955 and made in Czechoslovakia.
When it arrived I could not figure out how it worked, as the leads were held far above the nozzle, and the instructions were in Czechoslovak. I found an app for my iPhone and it made a translation clear enough to understand the mechanism.
It is pretty clever and unique. It works by gravity. You twist the head and a lead falls down to the point, and a clutch pencil mechanism grips the lead. To change colour you turn the pencil point up and let the lead fall back into the storage. Twist the top to a new colour and repeat.
I enjoy the ingenuity of these old four colour pencils.
Nikon Z8 with 105 Macro. 25 picture stack shot in my mini light box I build out of white translucent Perspex sheets.
Not sure if I like the black or blue background better.
Excellent work. Yes, I remember your post a few months (?) ago - regarding your lightbox. Well done! I like the black... as the reflection is more defined. And I appreciate your story.. interesting! The pen collection is a fun hobby - and your photography hobby is very complimentary.
FEN
Once In a while I visit Oliphant Fen in Bruce County, Ontario. It’s a rare coastal wetland and nature reserve. It has some unique species like orchids and other wildflowers…
Those are really nice... the first two especially, IMHO. There's "something" about them... sharp and "forward" with great isolation that blends it all together in a pleasing fashion.
@Wormsmeat has written:[quote="@cpm"]
Chicago was fun to visit. I have not been able to do much weeding-out and processing (too busy with work). But, here's one I quickly fiddled with. Another picture of a building. There are many more. It's Chicago! The 14-24 is nice to have in these instances.[I went to Chicago many, many years ago as a punk. I loved it. I hear it's a little more dangerous now. Surprisingly well received. Not so much in other parts of the States. Shame about the shadow on the building but still get a sense of a nice blue sky.
Thanks for the comment. Punk... as in mid-70's? Sex Pistols? One of the best concerts I saw as a "kid" (22 years old at the time) was the The Clash opening for the Rolling Stones at the Kingdome in 1981. A reinforced concrete domed stadium (radial concrete ribs, central compression ring, with 40 thin-shell hyperbolic paraboloid concrete segments @ 5 inches thick, spanning 660 feet) filled with 70,000 screaming crazies and loud music. Of course, we were thinking... the roof just MIGHT collapse... with the right resonant frequency. That thought added an "extra dimension" to the concert! As if we needed more dimensions back then. LOL. Under construction, 1974...
Sorry, just seen this. That's such weird billing. The Clash supporting The Stones, who would have been anathema to the punks. But I guess by the eighties the whole thing had unravelled. But for a few teenage years in London, those were the best of times. The Clash were great live.