• Members 1707 posts
    Sept. 19, 2026, 7:03 a.m.

    Good morning to everyone, wherever you are in the world...

    • This long-running thread, originally for Micro 4/3 on DPReview, now welcomes all brands of camera.
    • Keep it polite. Leave your guns and knives at the door.
    • A new week begins on Saturday morning (UK time).
    • It can get a bit tangled in here; please edit your post to make it clear to whom you are replying.
    • Don’t just post and run, please comment on other people’s work.
    • Posting in this thread implies you’re happy to receive feedback.

  • Members 1707 posts
    Sept. 19, 2026, 7:06 a.m.

    Last week I went to see Frameless in London. Such a cool way to spend an hour or two.

    Oranges and Lemons.jpg

    Oranges and Lemons.jpg

    JPG, 3.8 MB, uploaded by Wormsmeat on Sept. 19, 2026.

  • Members 2781 posts
    Sept. 19, 2026, 7:41 a.m.

    Took a look at the link, looks like a brilliant experience. It is good that they let you use a "proper" camera.

    I spent some time trying to figure out the reflection at the bottom of the picture.

  • Members 1558 posts
    Sept. 19, 2026, 8:12 a.m.

    Ben Hiant

    The highest point of the Ardnamurchan peninsula. This was the only day of our week that didn't require full waterproofs!
    It's supposed to have one of the best summit views in Scotland, and indeed it was a fine view, reaching around from the Small Isles clockwise through the mainland hills (though Ben Nevis was of course permanently shrouded in cloud), around to Mull. And we could actually see some of it!

    Overnight rain left the going a bit soggy.

    P9137175.jpg

    Part way up, with the summit to the left, looking north to the distant shape of the isle of Eigg out ar sea. It's a total climb of about 360metres from the road, so not too taxing, even with our various muscular-skeletal issues

    P9137179-Pano.jpg

    Southward over the sound of Mull, and isle of Mull to the right.

    P9137197-Pano.jpg

    Back down on the coast, the characteristic profile of Eigg. I really want to go there someday...

    P9137213.jpg

    P9137213.jpg

    JPG, 3.9 MB, uploaded by Woodsider79 on Sept. 19, 2026.

    P9137179-Pano.jpg

    JPG, 1.5 MB, uploaded by Woodsider79 on Sept. 19, 2026.

    P9137197-Pano.jpg

    JPG, 1.1 MB, uploaded by Woodsider79 on Sept. 19, 2026.

    P9137175.jpg

    JPG, 4.0 MB, uploaded by Woodsider79 on Sept. 19, 2026.

  • Members 1065 posts
    Sept. 19, 2026, 8:42 a.m.

    RB SB R

    Another event, this time as you could decipher from title it was Red Bull Soapbox Race, first time in Tallinn. Lot of people, so my hope to get closer shots from race was not to fulfill, as I did not want to shove my way through crowd, instead took some shots from start, some from distance with tele lens and then enjoyed show from big screen. It was fun event, lot of interesting vehicles and even more interesting costumes, good to see that estonians can have fun, as often people here are described as calm and not very social.

    Sauna riders, overall winners before start. Sauna is intact, but it was completely gone in finish, just riders on undercarriage.
    P9135903_DxO.jpg

    Label on shirt says: "farmer of year 2024". Turns out you don't need to be serious to be good farmer.
    P9135915_DxO.jpg

    Pigs can fly if they have wings?
    P9135934_DxO.jpg

    Well, well, who do we have here? Teletubbies!
    P9135941_DxO.jpg

    Mouse...
    P9135955_DxO.jpg

    ... and cheese in mousetrap.
    P9135959_DxO.jpg

    Super-Mario
    P9135961_DxO.jpg

    Vikings
    P9135969_DxO.jpg

    Fast and furryous, as label says
    P9135970_DxO.jpg

    Vikings II
    P9135982_DxO.jpg

    Bark beetles?
    P9135992_DxO.jpg

    Race track, start is from platform near yellow vehicle
    P9136000_DxO.jpg

    First team has started
    P9136095_DxO.jpg

    Barbies preparing for start
    P9136111_DxO.jpg

    Boombox taking first turn
    P9136206_DxO.jpg

    Those jumps after car wash took most out of vehicles
    P9136240_DxO.jpg

    Sauna entering car wash area
    P9136262_DxO.jpg

    Aftermath
    P9136354_DxO.jpg

    P9136262_DxO.jpg

    JPG, 1004.0 KB, uploaded by Vahur on Sept. 19, 2026.

    P9136240_DxO.jpg

    JPG, 1.2 MB, uploaded by Vahur on Sept. 19, 2026.

    P9136354_DxO.jpg

    JPG, 1.1 MB, uploaded by Vahur on Sept. 19, 2026.

    P9136206_DxO.jpg

    JPG, 1.1 MB, uploaded by Vahur on Sept. 19, 2026.

    P9136111_DxO.jpg

    JPG, 1.3 MB, uploaded by Vahur on Sept. 19, 2026.

    P9136000_DxO.jpg

    JPG, 1019.8 KB, uploaded by Vahur on Sept. 19, 2026.

    P9135982_DxO.jpg

    JPG, 751.9 KB, uploaded by Vahur on Sept. 19, 2026.

    P9135969_DxO.jpg

    JPG, 1.1 MB, uploaded by Vahur on Sept. 19, 2026.

    P9135992_DxO.jpg

    JPG, 653.9 KB, uploaded by Vahur on Sept. 19, 2026.

    P9136095_DxO.jpg

    JPG, 815.3 KB, uploaded by Vahur on Sept. 19, 2026.

    P9135970_DxO.jpg

    JPG, 645.8 KB, uploaded by Vahur on Sept. 19, 2026.

    P9135961_DxO.jpg

    JPG, 789.7 KB, uploaded by Vahur on Sept. 19, 2026.

    P9135955_DxO.jpg

    JPG, 802.4 KB, uploaded by Vahur on Sept. 19, 2026.

    P9135934_DxO.jpg

    JPG, 956.0 KB, uploaded by Vahur on Sept. 19, 2026.

    P9135941_DxO.jpg

    JPG, 925.8 KB, uploaded by Vahur on Sept. 19, 2026.

    P9135915_DxO.jpg

    JPG, 659.1 KB, uploaded by Vahur on Sept. 19, 2026.

    P9135959_DxO.jpg

    JPG, 393.2 KB, uploaded by Vahur on Sept. 19, 2026.

    P9135903_DxO.jpg

    JPG, 848.3 KB, uploaded by Vahur on Sept. 19, 2026.

  • Members 2781 posts
    Sept. 19, 2026, 9:54 a.m.

    I was curious about the Yard o Led "Perfecta" , which is decorated by hand with over 3000 chasing taps. Each pencil is unique. I found a "New old stock" one, whilst killing time on internet.

    Yard o Led was owned for a long while by Filofax. Recently they have been acquired by a company dealing in "luxury brands". Carrying out I am told is called "market repositioning" is moving their prices into the stratosphere. My example made in 1997 was a fraction of the €800 they charge now for this pencil. This is happening to so many brands that made good quality stuff, but was reasonably priced.

    Rant over.

    I find this sort of macro photography interesting, as getting the lighting right is a huge challenge and is instructive. I made a perspex light tent, and I use a series of reflectors and black cards to create shadow. I made stacked images with my 105Macrow, and a 50mm Macro on bellows.

    2026-09-16 18-56-46 (C,S1)_9.jpg

    2026-09-16 18-58-52 (C,S1)_3.jpg

    2026-09-16 18-59-31 (C,S1)_3.jpg

    Another quirky 4 colour pencil, who's colour changing mechanism eluded me, for a long time. Bosset & Erhard Boscolor 1950s in Alpacca.

    2026-09-12 18-41-50 (C,S1)_1.jpg

    This was challenging. I made a ton of shots before hitting on the idea of a black reflector to show the pattern. Caran D'Ache Ecridor

    2026-09-13 19-24-32 (B,R2,S1)_5.jpg

    2026-09-13 19-24-32 (B,R2,S1)_5.jpg

    JPG, 252.8 KB, uploaded by NCV on Sept. 19, 2026.

    2026-09-12 18-41-50 (C,S1)_1.jpg

    JPG, 202.3 KB, uploaded by NCV on Sept. 19, 2026.

    2026-09-16 18-59-31 (C,S1)_3.jpg

    JPG, 932.2 KB, uploaded by NCV on Sept. 19, 2026.

    2026-09-16 18-58-52 (C,S1)_3.jpg

    JPG, 518.4 KB, uploaded by NCV on Sept. 19, 2026.

    2026-09-16 18-56-46 (C,S1)_9.jpg

    JPG, 212.8 KB, uploaded by NCV on Sept. 19, 2026.

  • Members 2781 posts
    Sept. 19, 2026, 10 a.m.

    A lovely set this week. I love the sweeping curves in the second shot.

  • Members 2781 posts
    Sept. 19, 2026, 10:26 a.m.

    Looks like fun. You have made some nice portraits in this set.

  • Members 534 posts
    Sept. 19, 2026, 12:14 p.m.

    Anglezarke

    With the recent reopening of the Heapey Dam, I can now easily reach the woods along the North East shore of Anglezarke reservoir. As such, I've spent the last couple of weeks revisiting and exploring that area.

    My initial idea was to do a full lap of the reservoir shoreline starting and ending at the dam. I'd estimated it to be about 6 miles, but in reality it turned out to be about 4.3, however it still felt like 6, go figure.

    Completing this walk gave me the great idea to make a video of the walk as it's quite a nice and varied route and so, early one morning, armed with the Z6iii, the 24-70 f/4S, a lightweight tripod, microphone and variable ND filter I set off, or at least I thought I did.

    When I arrived at the dam, I realised I didn't have the Arca adapter plate required to fit the tripod head. All of my cameras have variants of Arca L-brackets attached, which work a treat on my big tripod, but I don't like carrying that more than a mile or two, but the video head on the travel tripod expects the bevels of the Arca plate to be aligned in the opposite direction (i.e. along the direction you're pointing the camera, not along the film plane), the L-bracket style bevels are at 90 degrees to what it requires, so I packed everything up, jumped back in the car and went home to grab the correct plate, then drove back to the dam again.

    This time, I set up the tripod, mounted the camera and started taking shots around the dam. I very quickly noticed that my 24-70 lens seemed a bit short on reach. That's because it was the 17-30. When I set out, I'd checked the lens already on the camera was a collapsing one, but didn't bother to check which collapsing lens it was. As it turned out, it was the wrong collapsing lens. So, pack everything up again, jump back in the car and nip home again to grab the 24-70.

    On the third time I returned to the dam I had everything needed, but by this point it was approaching midday. Still, I set out, hopeful I could shoot this video and then proceeded to stumble over my narration (it was going to be a walking and talking kind of thing, although, hopefully a bit more cinematic than the usual action cam based affairs). As I was doing this a number of people passed me, stopped for a chat and continued on their way.

    After about a 90 minutes, I reached the end of the first section of woods, something that would take me about 10 minutes if I was just walking and taking photos. I even ran into one of the people who'd passed me earlier who was on his way back and commented that I hadn't got very far.

    Eventually, after about four hours, I'd covered just over a mile of the four mile walk and realised there was no way I was going to get round the full thing on that day, so I gave up and went home, planning to return and complete the rest of it later in the week.

    However the weather was having none of it and subsequent days have either been too hot or wet to consider continuing filming, so instead, I returned with a traditional handheld stills setup and looped the reservoir with those.

    Return With The Z8

    On This occasion, I returned with the Z8 and the 24-70 f/2.8S. The weather wasn't really conducive to taking photos, so I just came away with a few tree studies and wider shot of the reservoir, oh, and this bonus Roe Deer that I startled right at the beginning of the walk. I didn't have a longer lens on me and even if I had, I didn't have time to swap them, so this is a tiny crop taken at 70mm and upscaled in Topaz. It's come out surprisingly well and says a lot about the quality of that lens.

    DSC_7845.jpg

    A wider shot of Anglezarke reservoir. This is the sight you see as you leave the initial woodland section of the walk.

    DSC_7869.jpg

    Trees in the woods. These are along a path that sticks close to the waters edge that I didn't actually take on this walk, but I do use on my return visit a few days later (pictures below).

    DSC_7875.jpg

    Trees beside the road.

    DSC_7893.jpg

    Return With The X-T50

    On the next day that I felt like attempting the loop again, it was much brighter and hotter, so I decided to go light and took the little X-T50 along with the Fujifilm 10-24 f/4. I also had the Sigma 28-50 f/2.8 in the bag, but I'm really not a fan of this lens and think the 10-24 gives a much better image for its range, so it didn't get a lot of use and I didn't shoot anything particularly compelling with it.

    As is traditional with the X-T50, I shot everything in ACROS+R. As they're all raw shots anyway, I did try converting some of these back to colour in Capture One, but I'm not keen on how they looked, irrespective of the film sim used as a starting point, so I'm sticking to monochrome for this set.

    With this being a bright, sunny day, these pictures have a contrasty look reminiscent of when I used to shoot on Ilford Pan-F back in the 80's.

    Trees from the first set of woods. The first four of these are at the shoreline, overlooking the reservoir.

    XT506593.jpg

    XT506594.jpg

    XT506596.jpg

    XT506612.jpg

    In the second section of woodland, this tree stands out as quite a menacing character. In years past, I've photographed it around sunset with the GFX, but haven't been able to easily reach this spot for the past couple of years due to the work on the dam, but now that I can get here again without a massive roundtrip, I look forward to getting the GFX down here in autumn to make the most of the changing colours.

    XT506622.jpg

    The next three images were taken from the steep path that climbs over the hill separating Anglezarke reservoir from its nearby chum High Bullough reservoir.

    XT506636.jpg

    XT506638.jpg

    XT506640.jpg

    As you come down the other side of the hill, the view opens out a little and you can see the reservoir again.

    XT506645.jpg

    Here I'm back on the main path running alongside the reservoir below what's know at The Viewing Point. This particular tree looks a bit angry.

    XT506675.jpg

    Eventually, I reached the Yarrow Dam, this is at the far edge of the reservoir from my starting point at Heapey Dam and is probably the spot most local visitors recognise when visiting Anglezarke (it's often packed with parked cars). This is a boundary stone, the little plaque beside it reads;

    "Bears an inscription with historical significance, during the second world war it is said to have been defaced in an effort to confound enemy troops in case of invasion. The stone serves as a reminder of the past and measures taken during war time."

    XT506687.jpg

    Finally, I'm on the homeward leg of the journey. By this point I'd decided to take the easiest route back and headed down the little lane that runs below the Knowsley Dam, this is easier on the feet than the footpath that sticks close to the waters edge. There's another block of woodland at the end of this before reaching the Heapey dam itself, but nothing in there piqued my interest. However, I did quite like this tree at the side of the road, which is the same one seen in the final colour shot at the end of the Nikon set.

    XT506691.jpg

    So despite the disastrous video production, I did enjoy the subsequent walks and will attempt to finish the video, hopefully publishing it before autumn kicks in (no guarantees on which autumn).

    XT506645.jpg

    JPG, 963.8 KB, uploaded by SteveMonks on Sept. 19, 2026.

    XT506691.jpg

    JPG, 873.8 KB, uploaded by SteveMonks on Sept. 19, 2026.

    XT506687.jpg

    JPG, 708.1 KB, uploaded by SteveMonks on Sept. 19, 2026.

    XT506675.jpg

    JPG, 1.1 MB, uploaded by SteveMonks on Sept. 19, 2026.

    XT506640.jpg

    JPG, 959.0 KB, uploaded by SteveMonks on Sept. 19, 2026.

    XT506638.jpg

    JPG, 1.1 MB, uploaded by SteveMonks on Sept. 19, 2026.

    XT506596.jpg

    JPG, 905.4 KB, uploaded by SteveMonks on Sept. 19, 2026.

    XT506593.jpg

    JPG, 940.8 KB, uploaded by SteveMonks on Sept. 19, 2026.

    XT506612.jpg

    JPG, 1.4 MB, uploaded by SteveMonks on Sept. 19, 2026.

    DSC_7875.jpg

    JPG, 1.1 MB, uploaded by SteveMonks on Sept. 19, 2026.

    XT506636.jpg

    JPG, 870.8 KB, uploaded by SteveMonks on Sept. 19, 2026.

    XT506622.jpg

    JPG, 965.3 KB, uploaded by SteveMonks on Sept. 19, 2026.

    XT506594.jpg

    JPG, 944.0 KB, uploaded by SteveMonks on Sept. 19, 2026.

    DSC_7893.jpg

    JPG, 865.0 KB, uploaded by SteveMonks on Sept. 19, 2026.

    DSC_7869.jpg

    JPG, 363.2 KB, uploaded by SteveMonks on Sept. 19, 2026.

    DSC_7845.jpg

    JPG, 627.1 KB, uploaded by SteveMonks on Sept. 19, 2026.

  • Members 2588 posts
    Sept. 19, 2026, 1:05 p.m.

    Ants or humans...

    8aa2fed2-66d1-46c4-81e0-a7bcf9677e5b.jpg

    Only if you enlarge this photo you can see people below. Picture taken through the window of an adjoining building from a great height. Downtown Toronto.

    8aa2fed2-66d1-46c4-81e0-a7bcf9677e5b.jpg

    JPG, 603.6 KB, uploaded by ChrisOly on Sept. 19, 2026.

  • Members 2588 posts
    Sept. 19, 2026, 1:06 p.m.

    Angela, layers of colours etc. Lots to see and discover.

  • Members 1707 posts
    Sept. 19, 2026, 2:56 p.m.

    A couple of delightful panoramas in the middle, the first has a real sweep to it.

  • Members 1707 posts
    Sept. 19, 2026, 2:58 p.m.

    I wasn't expecting this and it made me laugh out loud.

  • Members 1707 posts
    Sept. 19, 2026, 3:02 p.m.

    I always enjoy these pencil shots because, well, I like pencils.
    Yard-o-Led sounds like such an American name but it is, of course, British.

  • Members 531 posts
    Sept. 19, 2026, 4:58 p.m.

    You found the symmetry sweet spot and captured it perfectly! Really cool. At first I though there was an upper level and a lower level.

  • Members 531 posts
    Sept. 19, 2026, 4:59 p.m.

    That's beautiful.

  • Members 531 posts
    Sept. 19, 2026, 5:02 p.m.

    There's just something about this one... really nice!

  • Members 531 posts
    Sept. 19, 2026, 5:06 p.m.

    Great to see people having some fun!