• Members 1699 posts
    Oct. 3, 2026, 6:29 p.m.

    Great spot for a pano-style shot. The boat in the perfect place. And the clouds doing their best to complete the frame. Excellent.

  • Members 1699 posts
    Oct. 3, 2026, 6:35 p.m.

    Interesting and professional, had to skim somewhat due to lack of time. I heard there are reservoirs in the south which would normally be approx 75% full at this time of the year but are still only at 25%

  • Members 1555 posts
    Oct. 3, 2026, 7:41 p.m.

    Mackintosh, Macdonald and other fellow Glagow artists exhibited at the 1900 Vienna Exhibition, where they were seen by and inspired Klimt and others.

  • Members 1555 posts
    Oct. 3, 2026, 8:20 p.m.

    What a treasure trove!

  • Members 1555 posts
    Oct. 3, 2026, 8:22 p.m.

    The little cameo shots in this work well to vary the pace a bit. I would never have noticed that it was hsot over sveral days. Well done.

  • Members 1555 posts
    Oct. 3, 2026, 8:27 p.m.

    This has a really strange quality to it, almost like a painted stage set or even a dream... very effective.

  • Members 1555 posts
    Oct. 3, 2026, 8:28 p.m.

    Nicely done. Yes, we're moving into autumn now and it's clear in many of the posts this week.

  • Members 2774 posts
    Oct. 3, 2026, 8:48 p.m.

    The apple orchards are in the main big valleys around Merano. The Val Venosta is pretty nice, if you explore the side valleys. East of Bolzano we have the Dolomites, which are spectacular.

  • Members 2774 posts
    Oct. 3, 2026, 8:50 p.m.

    No, the ball with its shadow is cool.

  • Members 2774 posts
    Oct. 3, 2026, 8:51 p.m.

    The soft lighting gives this shot an almo Sci Fi vibe for some reason.

  • Members 530 posts
    Oct. 3, 2026, 9:03 p.m.

    It was cold on the day I started it. Day 2 and 3 were relatively hot (being on blood thinners I no longer seem able to regulate my body temperature correctly, so anything over 20C feels hot to me these days), but for continuity sake, I had to continue wearing my jacket, which wasn't ideal. Still, on windy day 4 I was glad of that windproof jacket.

  • Members 1699 posts
    Oct. 3, 2026, 9:14 p.m.

    That makes sense.

  • Members 1699 posts
    Oct. 3, 2026, 9:16 p.m.

    Whilst on the subject of artists (qv), if you squint at this, it looks like a Lowry.

  • Members 530 posts
    Oct. 3, 2026, 9:34 p.m.

    I think the level in Anglezarke has been kept artificially low over the past two years because they were rebuilding the dam embankment. It's crept up about 10 inches over the past month, so I'd expect it to be back at normal levels by next summer. Lower Rivington Reservoir (the final reservoir in the chain) was very low at the tail end of summer last year, but it looks perfectly normal at the moment (the shorelines I was walking on last year are thoroughly underwater now), although it's probably holding a big chunk of the water that would usually be sat in Anglezarke, so it's difficult to judge.

    I believe Haweswater (in the Lake District) is quite low at the moment, revealing some of the remains of Mardale, the village they drowned when they built the reservoir, however, from what I've seen, it doesn't seem to have got as low as it did when I visited the ruins in September 2021.

  • Members 527 posts
    Oct. 3, 2026, 9:44 p.m.

    I may have to try a video with my D810 or D850, but probably not as straightforward as with mirrorless.

  • Members 530 posts
    Oct. 3, 2026, 9:48 p.m.

    Thanks. Making video is very satisfying, but it's a whole extra level of work compared to stills, even worse when you've got to stand in front of the camera and talk to the damn thing. What's really weird though, is I get to the end of a scene after much pain and swearing as I struggle to string a few coherent lines of speech together, then feel I've got to say something else before heading off again and it always ends up being a variant of the same thing ("Anyway, I'd better crack on", "Anyway I'd better move on" to name but two), so I definitely need to expand my repertoire when I do the next one.

  • Members 530 posts
    Oct. 3, 2026, 9:58 p.m.

    You should definitely give it a go. I think the D850 is supposed to be a competent hybrid video camera capable of decent 4K up to 30P. It doesn't have any of the fancy stuff like NLog or 10 bit recording, but they're only really necessary if you intend to colour grade and that's a whole extra world of pain, so it's probably not really something to worry about.

    I don't think the C-AF performance is great when recording video because it's all done with contrast detect due to the mirror being up and blocking the AF sensor, but for most of my stuff I just set and lock the focus before I start recording anyway to avoid AF wobbles, so that probably wouldn't be much of a hindrance unless you're trying to catch dynamic action of some sort.

  • Members 527 posts
    Oct. 3, 2026, 10:16 p.m.

    ("Anyway, I'd better crack on", "Anyway I'd better move on" to name but two) -- no, no, no! 😃 That's GREAT stuff. PERFECT!