• Members 21 posts
    April 21, 2023, 3:29 p.m.

Last year I sold all my Nikon Gear...Z6, Z50 and D7500 plus 13 lenses and switched over to Canon. I shoot mainly birds, so Canon's birds eye focus is a real plus, and it works very well. I was with Nikon since 2006 and felt sad to leave them. Nevertheless, what I noticed since the move is that Nikon is really dragging their feet. They can use a baby Z9 to compete with the R5. Maybe more lenses and cameras in the crop sensor area. All they seem to be doing is running sales on their current older Z cameras and lenses. Don't get me wrong, some of this stuff is very good equipment, however I feel like they are falling behind the competition. I'm getting used to my Canon gear more and more so, and am happy I made the switch, however it's sad to see Nikon lag behind the competition. I hope they get back to being the great Camera maker they once were.

• Members 510 posts
    April 21, 2023, 4:04 p.m.

Could this be a coping mechanism for buyer’s remorse?
    Not sure why you would be so concerned about Nikon, now that you have moved over to the dark side.

Mama, don't take my Kodachrome Nikon away. lol

• April 21, 2023, 4:12 p.m.

Isn't Nikon the 'dark side'?

• April 21, 2023, 4:15 p.m.

I'm not at all sure what is the point of this thread.
    As for Nikon, in the present circumstances they have done very well to return to profit in difficult circumstances. You might not think a whole load of their product release strategy, but it seems to be doing OK for them.

• Members 27 posts
    April 21, 2023, 4:49 p.m.

Nikon has a strategic plan that they have been following that has returned them to profitability. That plan includes catering to professional and high end consumers, and it seems to have worked for them. The Z9 is arguably one of the top, if not the best, mirrorless full frame cameras available, and it's priced (at least when it first came out) considerably less than flagship cameras from Canon and Sony. Their Z mount lens lineup is also pretty complete. They definitely need to release a Z8 and a refresh of at least the Z6II but in I think in their minds being the biggest does not necessarily mean being the best.

• Members 159 posts
    April 21, 2023, 5:14 p.m.

They don't have to. Their web marketing is now king. Look at the climate they've created; you point out their shortcomings and in less than an hour, damage control starts, and you've already been bullied for it. Nikon's shill program is on another level.

• Members 177 posts
    April 21, 2023, 5:16 p.m.

Is this supposed to be a fact, or just something you thought up? Most of my colleagues opt for full-frame, no matter the brand.

• Members 159 posts
    April 21, 2023, 5:18 p.m.

You didn't understand his point. He was pointing out that Nikon needs something to compete with the R5. A "baby Z9" would be a camera with Z9 like capability in a smaller form factor at a lower price.

• April 21, 2023, 5:19 p.m.

Some statistics to back up Bob's post:

Nikon Corporation NINOY reported a net profit of ¥20.6 billion for the third quarter (ended Dec 31, 2022) compared with the year-ago profit of ¥12.6 billion. For the third quarter, revenues rose 25.8% year over year to ¥167.7 billion.

• Members 159 posts
    April 21, 2023, 5:26 p.m.

Sure, they're profitable. That only proves that they're making money.

• Members 16 posts
    April 21, 2023, 5:28 p.m.

So I guess they're actually selling product, unless you can think of another way to be profitable

• Members 159 posts
    April 21, 2023, 5:33 p.m.

In terms of "capability" (not profitability), the Z6(ii) and Z7(ii) lines are easily in last place behind anything that Sony or Canon makes (mirrorless, fullframe). That's not to say that Nikon can't turn things around with the Z8. They can. But the Z8 will have to be on a level playing field with the R5 (or slightly better) and will need to be at a very similar price point.

• Members 159 posts
    April 21, 2023, 5:37 p.m.

Sure. The money a company brought in was more than their expenses.

• Members 4 posts
    April 21, 2023, 5:42 p.m.

More like walked into a bar full of Georgia fans and started cheering for Florida. :-).

Nikon was slow to transition to mirrorless but I think they are doing well. Don't forget Canon and Nikon are both playing catch up to Sony in mirrorless. I went from EF to Z in the same timeframe. I only had a few consumer-quality crop-factor EF lenses at the time, and I wanted to go full frame. Now the Z system that I have is far superior to the Canon system I had, (I don't know how I even took pictures before!) which is clearly enough to inspire me to go on-line and claim moral superiority even though I'm a traitorous scalawag. So take that!

• Members 1457 posts
    April 21, 2023, 5:49 p.m.

Brands tend to leapfrog each other. So in a few months there will be a rush back to some new product that Nikon pushes out. We will get a load ofI am ditching canon posts, as they cannot cut it. Then it will be the turn of Sony. Does this neurotic need to have the latest aid such as fly's eye autofocus or some other trivial gizmo, such as train autofocus mode really make a difference.

My Z7 and D850 do everything I need, as did my D700 before it, which coped well once, with a huge St Bernard dog charging towards me did. The problem was not the camera.

My goodness, how ever did I get sharp shots, when I shot soccer with an FM2 and MF 300 2.8?

• Members 159 posts
    April 21, 2023, 5:52 p.m.

Nikon is playing catch up. Canon isn't.

Try an R5. You'll instantly regret buying into Nikon.

EDIT I guess I need to qualify that... assuming you don't have a Z9.

• Members 457 posts
    April 21, 2023, 6:20 p.m.

I have an R5 and a Z 7 II system (body and camera lenses). I prefer using Nikon, though Canon is quite nice as well.

• Members 4 posts
    April 21, 2023, 6:53 p.m.

As in Canon doesn't need to, or doesn't care to?

Haha. Me with either of those cameras would be like a bear trying origami.