• Members 300 posts
    April 27, 2023, 7 p.m.

I guess Sagittarius meant OOC Jpegs.

• Members 666 posts
    April 27, 2023, 7 p.m.

When you shoot actions or BIF how do you set your camera?

• Members 53 posts
    April 27, 2023, 7:13 p.m.

IliahBorg,

A recent thread on the old site was asking, “What drew you to DPReview”. I couldn’t remember so I looked at my posting history. One of my first introductions was getting sucked into an exposure triangle round and round that you were a part of. Good times.

• Members 976 posts
    April 27, 2023, 7:20 p.m.

It's in this thread, dprevived.com/t/the-exposure-triangle-is-misleading-and-unnecessary/1602/post/12588/

• Members 300 posts
    April 27, 2023, 7:22 p.m.

Call me simple but I agree. But this thread is more criticism against The Exposure Triangle Theory than telling to the beginner what ' exposure' means.
    What beginner needs is a simple tutorial of what 'exposure' means and what is 'The correct' exposure.

• Members 666 posts
    April 27, 2023, 7:26 p.m.

What I've read a lot of people shoot JPEG not RAW especially when they need result immediately.

• Members 976 posts
    April 27, 2023, 7:33 p.m.

I don't offer unculled photos to my customers, and normally, for events, it takes me a few moments on top of careful culling to edit and crop those shots I selected. I guess "immediately" may be more often than not a figure of speech

• Members 666 posts
    April 27, 2023, 7:52 p.m.

At my granddaughters performance (Nutcracker) I was asked to volunteer and take pictures of people (mostly kids) with main girl character. Pictures have been immediately transferred to my daughter's computer and emailed to client.

At a wedding one photographer took pictures of the people, printed them from card and sold.

These are some situations i refer to as immediate.

• April 27, 2023, 8:05 p.m.

Absolutely. Though one thing to be taken into account is that tutorials based on the 'Exposure Triangle' never give the beginner either of those things. If you can find one that does, I'll have to change that to 'almost never' but it will take you a long time. The closest I've seen are ones that give a correctish definition of exposure, then immediately introduce directly contradictory material.

There is no 'Exposure Triangle Theory'. It is at best an illustration of some established photographic theory, but one that also includes elements that run directly counter to photographic theory.

Certainly - it's there in the title of the thread - it's a direct and valid criticism of the exposure triangle - but shouldn't be in 'Beginners' Questions', which is why it isn't. Or are you suggesting that people shouldn't be allowed to criticise the Triangle (your capitalisation)?

• April 27, 2023, 8:16 p.m.

But in neither case would be considered 'professional' if photography were a chartered profession.

• Members 520 posts
    April 27, 2023, 8:24 p.m.

Even if metering were omniscient, and could tell a black cat from a white cat, the cameras usually change the Av and Tv and ISO values in 1/3 (or 1/2) stop steps, so there is going to be some variability there, but metering isn't omniscient, so there can be significant brightness variation if you just leave the EC control in a fixed position as lighting and subject tones change. That is probably why many people choose to lean towards negative EC.

• Members 457 posts
    April 27, 2023, 8:25 p.m.

I assume that the reason for the immediate delivery was that you did not want to spend time on the project. I doubt that a delay of an hour or two would be objectionable to the client, especially with the quality of the delivery being better after culling and processing.

• Members 976 posts
    April 27, 2023, 8:25 p.m.

A photographer uploading everything into a cloud (mostly after the shoot, but not always), for a magazine, is a real world scenario. It's simply not a very often scenario (yet), and it doesn't preclude shooting raw for the magazine to convert and edit. The criteria of what constitutes "immediate" is very fluid. What if the pictures are transferred in 30 minutes?

• April 27, 2023, 8:33 p.m.

And similarly, PJs working for newspapers have 'wired' their photos back in real time for years. There's a photo editor working at the paper whose job it is to do what's needed to cull and edit the shots.

• Members 666 posts
    April 27, 2023, 8:34 p.m.

@SrMi
    The idea was for immediate delivery. Since it was in controlled environment, images were pretty good. I took at least a couple of images of each and my daughter made sure eyes were not closed or any other problems.I've been asked to do exactly that and I did. End of story.

• Members 666 posts
    April 27, 2023, 8:40 p.m.

Yes. But they have not sent a very dark pictures and brightness was acceptable. Otherwise, I think, pictures have been simply thrown out.
    OK. I see no reason to continue this conversation.

• April 27, 2023, 8:54 p.m.

That's 'culling', is it not?

As you like.

• Members 300 posts
    April 27, 2023, 8:59 p.m.

Not my capilisation. I copied and pasted OP's title: The Exposure Triangle Is Misleading And Unnecessary.

I hoped to discuss about this triangle theory, but I'm unable to do because of my English ( and other) skills.