• Members 1737 posts
    April 28, 2023, 4:08 p.m.

Only 4 or 5 stops? If you've been reading my writings on the subject, you'll see that that's the very upper range of what I recommend.

But I've published images with 5 stop pushes that look fine. Sure, this ISOless stuff can be abused. That doesn't mean it's not useful.

And the black point shift issues are real in some cases; I'm with you there.

• April 28, 2023, 4:09 p.m.

I was hired by DEC back in '86 because I knew more about the PC marketplace than most of those in the UK (I'd had them with my previous company since 1982 and imported the first Compaq luggable in '82 when it came out). There's also a rumour that I invented the luggable computer back in the late 70's, but that's another story.

After many years of doing all sorts of things, I ended up as an IT architect doing data centre migrations - which was great fun until the world decided it would go to Amazon or Google or MS clouds - then it became boring. So I took VR (with a nice payoff) and here I am.

• Members 369 posts
    April 28, 2023, 4:54 p.m.

Personally, I draw the line at half of an electron. Yeah, it may be a bit sloppy but that's how I roll ;)

• April 28, 2023, 9:20 p.m.

That's why it's in BQD, not BQ. This is the category where people discuss what beginners should be taught, not where beginners come for knowledge. The fact it's gone on for so long means that there isn't agreement or even consensus, and beginners are in for a rough ride if they ask questions like 'what is exposure' or 'what is ISO'. If there was a simple answer to this conundrum, I'd be all for it.

• Members 369 posts
    April 29, 2023, 1:39 a.m.

I feel like I'm being a broken record (might've gotten me banned on that other DPR forum) but I'll again say that we need an FAQ. Here's how I recommend it be organized and run:

• No discussion allowed. If comments are allowed, they should be limited to 500(?)...250(?) characters
    • All answers are posted under a DPRevived byline
    • Questions and answers are presented to a review team for comment and feedback
    • The curator responsible for the area has final say on the version that gets published
    • Questions and answers should be written in conversational language. (Do we need a separate FAQ for deeper, more technically-focused subjects?)
    • Questions should be short and direct
    • Within the answers, keywords will be linked to the appropriate Q&A within the FAQ

Why no public discussion? The goal of a FAQ is to provide generally accurate information on topics of general interest and to do so in bite-size bits that are easily digestible. Endless discussion and debate will only serve to dilute the quality of information and undermine the value of the FAQ. If the admins feel a comments area is needed to solicit feedback from registered members, a limit on the length of those comments is necessary to ensure those remarks are targeted and to the point.

Also, anyone who is so inclined can open a thread in an appropriate forum and dissect a FAQ entry all the live long day. That's what the open forums are for. That's not the purpose of the FAQ.

Why the DPRevived byline? The FAQ represents the editorial views of DPRevived. The byline should reflect this.

Why the review team? This isn't a one-person job. It's important to get input from a small group of people who will embrace the role of the FAQ and offer input & guidance to support the area's designated curator in doing quality work.

Why does the curator have final say? Somebody has to have final say, if you want to get anything done. Creating a FAQ by committee where consensus or a plurality of votes is needed to get anything done will ensure that nothing gets done. Besides, the admin team can always replace the curator, if they're dissatisfied with the quality of the content.

Why answers written in a conversational tone? This will keep the content accessible to the person who has a general interest in photography. It's also why I asked if a separate FAQ for deeper dives into more technical issues should be created. For those members who do want to dig deep into what's going on under the hood, so to speak, they should have an area where fundamental, foundational knowledge is presented as a context for those discussions.

Why short and direct? Keeping the questions and answers short and to the point will make them bite-sized and, again, more accessible.

Why keyword links? This will allow the interested person to continue exploring topics related to the one that brought them to the FAQ. It's an opportunity to build a generalist's understanding of the basics of photography. Bit by bit, a person should be able to read pages of useful information...provided they're inclined to keep clicking on the links.

• Members 369 posts
    April 29, 2023, 1:39 a.m.

[DUPLICATE - DELETED]

• Members 273 posts
    April 29, 2023, 4:06 a.m.
  • Members 9 posts
    April 29, 2023, 5:25 a.m.

Hi,

Screen luminance is obviously part of exposure, but we can keep it constant between exposures when discussing effects of camera settings.

You can replace 'ignoring' with 'keeping constant'.

Best regards
    Erik

• Members 209 posts
    April 29, 2023, 5:36 a.m.

@Bill Ferris 4hrs ago: Well, posting it twice certainly makes you a broken record :), but I agree with the main points. Calling it FAQ would be better than BQ I think

• Members 369 posts
    April 29, 2023, 2:44 p.m.

Ha! I had no idea. Thank you for pointing that out.

I'd like to delete one of the two but don't appear to have that ability through the phone interface.

• Members 457 posts
    April 29, 2023, 3:09 p.m.

The duplicate post happened to me as well. No idea why. I do not think you can delete a post, but you can edit it by deleting the content and marking it [deleted].

• Members 1737 posts
    April 29, 2023, 3:11 p.m.

Me, too.

• April 29, 2023, 8:33 p.m.

If you ever find a reason for it, let me know. Not something that I have ever encountered.

Alan

• Members 273 posts
    April 29, 2023, 9 p.m.
  • April 29, 2023, 9:15 p.m.
  • Members 3345 posts
    April 30, 2023, 1:27 a.m.

That has happened to me once or twice as well.

However, you can still edit posts here after they have been replied to so one option could be to edit the duplicate post and replace all the content with some thing like "Deleted - duplicate copy"

• April 30, 2023, 8:46 a.m.

If I see that, I will delete the post. If I don't see it and you want it deleted, just send me a PM.

Alan

• Members 202 posts
    May 7, 2023, 8:19 p.m.

For the purpose of enlightening a beginner, it seems to me that describing ISO as happening after exposure is sufficient, and that dual gain and how to best utilize the ISO control are topics that should be in a more advanced techniques discussion (which is why I had proposed having that forum here).